Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton kweichowensis secure lid?

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
So I still haven't gotten the chance to make or buy a tank lid for my male Tylototriton kweichowensis. I know that all newts can escape, but does anyone know if Tylototriton kweichowensis is good at it and does it often? Plus I have about 10-12inches of glass from the substrate to the rim.

And anyone have any cheap DIY tank lid idea?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Big adult newts are unlikely to scape but better safe than sorry. I make my lids with wooden bars, mesh and staples. Those work excellent if the tank has a plastic rim. If not, you can use those angled wooden bars for corners.

Alternatively, you can use a wide rim.

Check this:
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

JWERNER

Reaction score
If you have moisture on the glass they can sometimes shimmy up the corners and get out.

You could get some of the cheap egg crate/ fluorescent light grid from Lowe's and cut it to fit and maybe get some acrylic to glue on top of it. Acrylic alone will warp and bow from the moisture eventually.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
Do any of the above suggestions aid in moisture more than the rest?

JWERNER

Reaction score
Using the grid alone would be comparable to a screen lid. Using some acrylic to go with it would aid in keeping moisture in.

Using acrylic gives you the option of using a fan as well. You can get a hole saw bit for a drill and easily cut a hole in the acrylic to add a computer fan which would aid in keeping the temps down as well as ventilation.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
Okay well I guess I'm going to go shopping for the egg crate and then maybe some acrylic.

Thanks guys!

PS: Egg crate's holes aren't big enough for him to get out of are they?

freves

Reaction score
Go to the store and buy a small sterilite/rubbermaid container to put your kweichowensis in until you can provide the proper housing.
Chip

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
What's wrong with the tank he's in now? Besides the top, which I haven't had for over a week. I'm going to try and get to the hardware store after work today.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
IMG_5034.jpg

JWERNER

Reaction score
Perfect!

Bellabelloo, its the plastic egg crating that you see over top of fluorescent light fixtures n some places like schools.

My Lowes has some with different size square holes.

sfmmfreak, if you find moisture is escaping and the tank is drying up you could also just wrap half-there quarters in saran wrap.

Last edited by a moderator:

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
WelI might just do that because the tank does dry pretty fast.

PS: The temps in SoCal have been really cool the last 2 days, so I've been keeping the window open, giving him some fresh cold air.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there anything holding down the egg crate? I would put some weight on it, just to be safe. If you have a piece of plate glass, this would both hold it down and reduce evaporation. However, keep in mind that evaporation helps keep the habitat a bit cooler, so perhaps you don't want to cover it too well.

sfmmfreak

Reaction score
I have nothing holding it down at the moment but It's on there pretty tight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1