water problem?

mkoff32

Reaction score
Country
Iceland
Display Name
Newtie McNewtersons
Hey all,

I'm brand new to both this site and keeping newts. I set up my tank 2 days ago, dechlorinized the water and let the filter run for 2 days. I've got a 10 gallon tank with a little more than half of it land. I divided the tank by puting a 1/4 inch of plexiglass in the tank and sealing it with marine sealant. I have moss covering the land half and a few fake plants scattered on the bottom of the water half with a piece of driftwood connecting the water to the land. I went to the store and picked up 2 firebellied newts about 5 hours ago and put them in their new home. I just came home and noticed that around the piece of driftwood there appears to be foam-like bubbles forming. Is this normal or do I have a water problem?

Thanks!

I think you have a wood problem. You should be carefull with wood in aquaria. This has to be treated properly. you can find a lot on this in google.

Your set-up sounds fine for a pair of FBN's (Cynops orientalis). If the wood was collected by you I would remove it till it can be properly prepped by boiling, baking etc. If the wood is designed for aquarium use it will be fine. Even proper driftwood will bubble, foam, and mold when only partially submerged. It is all part of the normal process and is nothing to worry about. If it bothers you the mold can be removed / rinsed off as needed till it stops growing but either way it is not harmfull to the newts.

Welcome to the board.

Can you tell if the bubbles are being produced by the wood itself, or are they just collecting around the wood by coincidence? Does the water have a bubbler or filter of any kind (if so, what kind)?

The wood itself isn't producing the bubbles. I do have a filter in there, just a little cheapie one that is sitting in the water on the gravel. I shut the filter off today and the bubbles/foam were gone within 5 minutes, so I suppose that it isn't much of a big deal. It just seems that the bubbles were attaching to the wood and then attaching to each other and covering the whole surface. It just looked odd.

The bubbles were sticking to the wood simply because the wood was the only thing to stick to.

Thanks for all the replies! I know I sounded kind of dumb... the filter creates bubbles... I knew that, but I didn't know it would cover almost the whole surface with them! Lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back