Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

water dechlorination

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
To dechlorinate water without using a commercial product I just let a bucket of water sit for a couple of days to let chlorine evaporate, or put a water container in the fridge with lid off. So when we talk about dechorinated frozen water, it's the same thing, right (leave lid off water bottle in fridge, then return lid and freeze). If the water in the bottle is just frozen after filling from the tap, is that still being dechlorinated?

Cheers

Sharon
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing. Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865), Lincoln's Own Stories

kapo

Reaction score
You can't always do that, it depends on the water company that cleans your water and the type/amount of chemicals they use. Some places in NZ use tank water (rainwater collected in tank, ie farms rural areas) and others have springs which their water comes from. The water ager removes both chlorine and chloramines from the tapwater.

Our tapwater is treated and even leaving it to stand 24-48 hours chlorine doesn't evaporate. I always use a water ager/conditioner/dechlorinater with our tapwater for our waterchanges and fridged animals. Only time I don't is when I run out of the water ager then I use the rainwater that we collect outside (our animals won't drink tapwater only rainwater)

Make sure when you fill the bottle, fill two thirds or three quarters with treated tapwater or rainwater as it expands as it freezes.

Last edited:

dvsgal

Reaction score
If you have a rainwater tank use that insted...saves you heaps of time and money. ive been using rainwater only in my tank for 7 months now and ive never had a problem. You dont need to add any chemicals..nothing. Its better for them too.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sharon, what you are doing is a little risky. I think you need to be using a commercial product ~or~ you need to buy a chlorine test kit (they are sold as supplies for swimming pool and hot tubs) and test the water until the chlorine is nearly gone. You would be surprised how little chlorine actually goes away in an open container, especially in the fridge.

I will also add the point that chlorine, in low concentrations, is not very toxic to amphibians. If you put in some chlorinated ice cubes or do a 10% water change with chlorinated water, nothing bad will happen. That's why the old advice to "let it sit overnight and the chlorine will go away" works OK. But it often isn't true.

sdhuz36

Axolotl Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx Jennewt and others, I've been away with work, only got back to check replies properly today!
My hubby and kids have been so good. It's been 98% humidity in Perth, Australia, and stinkin hot. They managed to keep the tank temp down to 22 degrees C, with proper dechlorinated water bottles, I checked out water dechlorinators before I went away, after reading up on the net. I bought a dechlorinator called 'Stress Coat'; the packaging says it removes chlorine and neutralises chloramines. It also says it detoxifies ammonia in tap water, removes 33% more chlorine and 13% more chloramines than the original 'Stress Coat' product; and contains aloe vera, which replaces the slime coat and reduces electrolyte loss. Does this sound like a bunch of commercial hogwash, or is it a good product? (Better be, it cost a packet)........

Cheers
Sharon

kapo

Reaction score
I used to use Stress Coat, as advised by the petshop and boy it does cost a packet doesn't it, but was advised that as it has aloe vera it can add to the bioload of your tank. I didn't waste it of course :D, used up the rest of the bottle and just bought a cheaper brand of water ager/conditioner that does the job just as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1