The Joy of Water Changes and Genral Maintenance

Beej

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Beej
How does one explain the pleasure we get from the added workload associated with keeping aquatic and amphibius pets??

"Isn't it a hassle having to change the water??"

"They don't seem to do much, what's the point??"

"Can you pet them?"

I get these questions from my friends who are too cool to keep fish and newts. Do you?

Why don't they understand the calming quality of trimming aquatic plants?

Why don't they get the joys of a newt making unexpected use of an ornament in his tank?

OR:

Are we a specific breed of people to be able to find the joys in aquascape? Is it a unique mentality and temperment that allows for this hobby to be viewed as a quiet place away from the world rather than an added annoyance??

What do you guys think?? Care to share any stories of isolation? Aquarium induced calm and tranquility?

I'm tired of people asking me, "How do the cats get along with the other pets?" as if everything is running amok around the house. But in general my animated and enthusiastic descriptions of their cuteness and their interesting life cycle stops people from wondering what the attraction is. I'll go on and on starting with how they develop from larvae and how they differ from tadpoles. Then I'll go on about how Notos start in the water, go to land and later go back to the water, in excruciating detail. Mostly people just want to change the subject and get me to shut up about them already.

I think it's for the same reason why you wouldn't find me with a binocular, watching birds all the time. Those people are probably wondering why other people don't like those beautiful birds. I don't really blame people for not nowing everything about newts, since they aren't as 'hip' as a panda or a giraffe on discovery, the only time they get to learn about them was in biology lessons probably. The newts secluded lives make them even more mysterious...some like that (us) and some don't, or just don't care.

My girlfriend just bought 2 albino leopard geckos and she just loves them(I think they're absolutely gorgeous animals myself) and her friend, being invited over to watch them said "I don't like lizards so is it ok if we meet up at the coffee shop??"

What is that?

Some people just don't like certain animals. There's no harm in that. Different strokes for different folks.

I have people who don't like my snakes. It's understandable. My statement is always that you don't have to like them, just appreciate their place in nature.

I've had people refuse to come inside my house because all my animals. I had a friend over at my house that didn't realize he was surrounded by by a variety of reptiles and amphibians, so when I turned the lights on, he shot up off the floor and ran out. Sometimes I think it's funny because I grew up with people just like me. It's pretty sad when someone asks what a salamander is. I always thought that was a basic thing they teach in preschool. I have a little brother in kindergarden who told me that his teacher was teaching the class about amphibians and reptiles the other day. Hopefully the next generation of children will grow up knowing what is possibly in there own backyard.

One of my neighbours is fine with my amphibians but won't enter my house because of the live foods. ;-)

Some mates from college won´t enter my house because of my snakes. Surprisingly enough every one seems to like the fact that i keep newts.
There´s particularly one girl that refuses to be near snakes...which was funny during zoology practices.
I can understand it because i´m deadly scared of dogs, so i can´t blame ppl for having irrational fears...all i´d like is them to test those fears as i´m forced to do everyday by the street :p

I thought your post said "deadly afraid of frogs"

"why are other amphibians ok?" I thought!!!lol

I find that alot of people spend alot of time judging what they don't view as fun or fulfilling

I had a guy working a pet shop tell me he "hates fish" and "finds them pointless" and feels that "Every 'aquarist'(said with some serious sarcasm)is crazy"

It's out there

My interest in newts has sparked a new appreciation for aquatic creatures. I now have a semi-aquatic newt tank, a goldfish tank, and a betta tank that all keep me busy and happy. I don't think I'll get into the hobby any deeper but it keeps me satisfied with what I already have.

I am finding that people seem to either love my axolotl or hate them, much like the effect marmite has on some people too!!!

It definetly stems from childhood, I had a primary school teacher who braught in a glass case of preserved amphibians, I can remember a black and yellow salamander vividly. She also introduced me to tadpoles.
I dont really know why I keep amphibians now, I just started and it all opened out in front of me.
Its funny explaining to friends how I spent £140 on a water cooler which is still not operational (watch this space) but I think it's funny how they give all their money to bars and clubs at the weekend...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back