Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bubbles on water surface

Sergeant Boppo

Reaction score
Bubbles, sometimes large and soap-bubbly looking, sometimes sea-foamy, began forming on the water surface of my axie's tank about two weeks ago. At the time, I believed this had something to do with the sand I had just added to the tank; however, the bubbles are still forming. They only appear once every few days, but it is enough to worry me.
The temperature in the tank is normally about 16 degrees C and the PH is 7.4. The tank has not finished cycling, so the ammonia is 5.0-7.0 ppm, the nitrate 5.0-10.0 ppm, and the nitrite 0.0 ppm. I do 20-25% water changes every day, and I completely changed the water the first time the bubbles appeared, yet I still see them. The sand was playground sand that I rinsed for two hours and left soaking in a bucket for two days afterwards. Are the bubbles something to do with the sand, part of the cycling process, or something entirely different/something I have missed?
I will post a picture the next time these bubbles form before I scoop them out.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Boppo,

Gases can become trapped in the sand. When you clean your tank you need to stir the sand around to release any trapped gas.

Good Luck

Sergeant Boppo

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining what probably causes the bubbles. However, I still have a question; what do I do about these gases when they rise to the surface? Some of them develop a sea-foam consistency and stay in the tank for several days after I first spot them. I have been scooping them out of the water; is this the right thing to do, or is there something I should do or add to the water itself?

MRIGUY

Reaction score
The bubbles / foam on the surface of the water can also indicate a high protein (waste) content in the water. The high Ammonia / Nitrite levels would support that as well. Keep up with the water changes and increase filtration till the water parameters test at zero (or a lot closer to it).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1