Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

cloudy water

nicnic123

Reaction score
ok so ive just cycled my tank, ive got my axie (its names hex) and now the waters gone all cloudy. :(why would it go cloudy? is it normal? ahh help im soooo worried. :confused:

kapo

Reaction score
Yes it is normal! It's called a bacterial bloom. Just test your tankwater for ammonia/nitrites and nitrates - it's probably the addition of the axie which is usual when you add an axolotl to a cycled tank. The bioload increases slightly to accommodate. If you get any readings over 0 for the ammonia/nitrite just do 20-30% waterchanges.

You'll probably need to keep an eye on the water parameters every couple of days until it settles and just make sure to spotclean your tank daily (any uneaten food/waste). Keep an eye on your tank temperature as well, as this can also have an impact on your water parameters.

Last edited:

kclinton

Reaction score
I agree with Kapo, Make shure you test ammonia if/when mine spikes the first thing i notice is that the water goes cloudy.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Leftover food is the surest way to get cloudy water. This may not necessarily be the case for you, but it's something to watch out for, especially if the tank has rocks or gravel where bits of food can be trapped and unseen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1