how much water per axie?

dancas

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Right he ohh then..

we all know i have 4 7" axies in my 3ft tank which holds 145L

on again off again ammonia problems.

upgraded eheim pickup 2010 to an aquaone something or other that does 700Lper hour

etc etc tec..

I have just aquired an aquaone 650 tank which holds 86L which i am putting my eheim in.(powerhead pump is not an original and we cant figure it out)

how many axies for that tank..?

Also am aquiring 2 tanks in 2 weeks a double up stand which a 4 footer on top ~200L ( I will buy a cannister to do 1000L per hour for that one)
and a 3.5 footer on bottom which would prolly be about 170L ( prolly use the sponge filters it has, as they seem massive)

how many comfortably in each...?

In my opinion it is more interesting to know the dimensions of the tanks since for Axolotls the floor space is more important than the height of the tank. It also depends on how big your Axolotls are - juveniles might fit into a 85L - tanks while for grown adults with more than 20 cm it would be too small.

I also made the experience that the interior of the tank is important to the question of how many for one tank. For instance I have 4 semiadults in a 80x45x40 cm tank but there are lotls of plants and hideaways in this tank.

And one additional comment on your filters: I think that a 700 l/h filter for a 145L tank and a 1.000 l/h filter for a 200L tank would be to much as long as you can't slow them down. You cycle your water 5 times an hour at full speed with these filters what may cause a lot of current.

Hi Dancas,

I agree with Daniel.

A good rule of thumb is 18" of tank space per adult axie. This is a guideline of course. It allows adult axies to have enough room to get away from eachother if they want.

That having been said I have three adult axies in a 850mm x 450mm x 450mm tank and they usually hang out together

my aquaone cannister has like a 2 foot spray arm on it.. no current there, and the intake is hidden with about 3 long stringy plants, there isnt much current in there....their hair doesnt sway... the tank they are currently in is 96cmx45cmx35cm and the one i got yesterday is 62x38x53

the axies are about 17cm and we have 4.... hubby has scrapped the double stand n tank... he feels we are being overrun with aquatic life... can i put 2 in each of the ones i already have?
we have connected the powerhead pump to the aquaone tank and have the filter running now, we wont be getting 1000L /hr cannister now as we arnt getting the bigger tanks. the tank has a decent sized bio/mechanical filter in the top so am now cycling that one, it desnt have much of a current at all either, plus today i will be buying more plants to put in this one and some poly elbows etc.

Lucky duck. Think my hubby would rather have a fifth child than 4 tanks, and thats saying something:p. Looking forward to getting my bigger tank. Do you reckon second hand would be worth looking at?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking at this double tank setup for only $280 included stand lights etc pumps in quinns rocks...

Okay, i have put malfoy and molly in the 62x38x53 and snape and weasley are in the 3 footer, I figured the squarer tank is actually bigger than the 2 footer i used to have 2 in before with no hassles at all, so i bit the bullet..... the water is the same as their original tank water so theres no stress out happening there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back