Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

water too hot!!! How to cool???

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi im a little worried im a new keeper of my paddletailed newt Niddy and my water has climbed to 27c im very concerned as i m sure the water should be 17c???

How can i reduce the temp safely???

I have turned the light off im going to turn the heating off in the room too, i cant turn the housse heating off as we have a baby.

the tank has water three quarters full with sand filter ad plants and hidy places

Hes on his own in there.

Cheers Satin xxx

The tank is 30 litres if i remember xx

dianabee

Reaction score
If this is a temporary problem, and you just need the water to get cooler I'd recommend putting a frozen bottle of water in your tank. That's probably the cheapest, easiest method.

If you have a continual problem with your temperature, there are aquarium chillers you can purchase.

satinbaby

Reaction score
Thankyou everyone!! I will take a look at the link too xxx

satinbaby

Reaction score
Re: Where can i buy an aquarium Chiller/cooler

Hi all does anyone know what type of aquarium chiller /cooler i need fr Niddy my newt the temp is still too high and hes not happy because of the baby i cannot make the house any cooler.

The tank he is in is 28 litres water.

Cheers guys.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Where can i buy an aquarium Chiller/cooler

Is there something in the tank that is heating the water hotter than the air? Even with a baby, you can't possibly be keeping your house 27C! The answer may be to get rid of the filter if that's heating the water. Also, getting a screen lid can help a lot. I really doubt that you need a chiller. For less than the cost of a chiller, you could completely replace the setup and equipment with a setup that stays cool on its own (no light, no power filter, use a sceen lid, etc).

aramcheck

Reaction score
Like Jennewt said, I doubt your house is that warm, so something must be heating the water. Is your tank positioned just above a radiator, or in direct sunlight? Also you could try to fit a fan above a screen lead to bost evaporation. You will have to change/top up the water more often, but you can easily lose a couple of degrees like that...

satinbaby

Reaction score
No its not heating the water its electrical but its fine he is on my second floor of our house as we have 2 fish tanks downstairs so no room down there and its a new build my house thermometer reads 25 today!!
There is no sunlight or radiator i have turned the radiator off in this room. The ceiling an is on alot.

I dont know aht a else to do!!

Any ideas on a chiller? x

JinxXx0085

Reaction score
Mmm, besides the link was provided to give you a couple of methods of cooling water (I haven't personally checked it out yet) but I just thought that I'd ask what type of thermometer do you use to monitor your water temperature?
Is there any chance that the thermometer may be faulty?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1