4 of my larvae have emerged from the water :) (Tylototriton verrucosus)

Revan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Michael
Ok so the long wait is looking to be over, over the past week my Tylototriton verrucosus larvae have been making their way to land. I have about 18 larvae and I'd say about another 4-5 should be at this stage at the end of the week.

Couple of questions

1. I've noticed that the metamorphosing larvae have lost a great deal of interest in food, they are usually very frisky at food time, now I'm lucky to see them eat 1 bloodworm. Is this normal, and if so, when will they be eating regularly again?

2. I read somewhere that Tylototriton verrucosus don't need a land stage. However the 4 land newts are now very keen to stay on land, and scurry out of the water when they accidently drop in. Should I change the tank to half and half?

My biggest larvae is strangely large compared to all the rest (by approx 2cm) however he still has very large gills (not sure of correct term) I would have put him down as first on land, however this is not the case.

All the newts coming to land have shedded now and have lost their gills.

I’ll try to get some pictures up tomorrow.

Regards

Re: 4 of my larvae have emegred from the water :) (Tylototriton verrucosus)

Also the parents of the larvae were both dark variants, and out of the land newts, they all look like dark variants, Should i be getting both dark and light variants?

it took 110 days from egg to today.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back