Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adding a newt to a new tank of water

Josue

Reaction score
I want to add a filter system to my tank, but i also want to add more water to the tank. I heard that i should not put a newt in water it is not used to because it will die. How can i prevent this from happening.

Dave1812

Reaction score
You can get products that get rid of the chemicals (as well as heavy metals in the water) that the water companies add the the water, treat the water before you put it in your tank - you should also treat the water you use in a part water change in the same way.
You can also get products that help bacteria colonise things like gravel, ornaments, filter media.
The above should help in the transition of your tank - hope this helps.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you completely changing the water, or only adding some? If the only change you are making is to add some water and a new filter, this will not cause your newt to die. In fact you should be doing partial water changes every week. What kind of filter are you adding?

Josue

Reaction score
i am using an under gravel filter with an air pump

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!