Inexpensive Semi-Aquatic setup?

DeCypher

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Austin
I can't figure out an inexpensive, attractive setup without gravel! I looked at the information sheets, and I just can't find the perfect setup. I really don't want gravel because all food gets lost under that stuff. Can anybody help me?

Over at our sister site frogforum.net there are a couple of articles on this topic by myself, John Clare and others. There a quite a few on here and in CaudataCulture too. A bit of work with the search functions will give you all sorts of ideas.

You can use pieces of slate for the bottom of the tank. It is rough enough for for them to grip, and can come in many colors and is very pretty. They sell it at all pet stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't figure out an inexpensive, attractive setup without gravel! I looked at the information sheets, and I just can't find the perfect setup. I really don't want gravel because all food gets lost under that stuff. Can anybody help me?

What are you trying to actually accomplish? Are you referring to the substrate on the water side in general or as a filler and drainage for the land side sloping into the water side?

But wouldn't food fall in between the cracks? That's the reason why i'm trying to get gravel.

For the most part I don't bother with any substrate. I have a large collection and caudates are so sensitive to water quality it is more trouble than its worth to me.

There is a way to have a gravel bottom that is easy to clean. Flip over your tank and glue the gravel to the bottom. Looks great, easy to clean, caudate friendly.

For the most part I don't bother with any substrate. I have a large collection and caudates are so sensitive to water quality it is more trouble than its worth to me.

There is a way to have a gravel bottom that is easy to clean. Flip over your tank and glue the gravel to the bottom. Looks great, easy to clean, caudate friendly.

That's a good idea. Any pics for reference?

You could also smear some 100% silicone on the bottom inside the tank and dump some sand on it and press it in. Once the silicone is dried and cured you can vacuum or dump the sand out. Then you have a bare bottom tank like SludgeMonkey is referring to but the look of sand.

SludgeMonkey, you obviously like bare bottom tanks and I used them in the past as well. They work great but have you ever had any troubles with cycling or or post cycle semi cycles:uhoh:? I just ask cause when I did a few bare bottoms it was always a rocky start since I didnt have the substrate layer for bio activity.

I just took out all the gravel, put in some plants and made them a little cave out of rocks, and it really doesn't look that bad bare-bottomed...I just fed them some blackworms and they didn't even have to spend hours of searching. I'm glad I made it bare-bottomed. It sounds like a good idea to glue substrate on the bottom...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back