Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can we get a sticky about substrate please?

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I cannot believe that given the sheer amount of posts advising about correct substrate, we still get people posting with impacted axies, due to pebbles used as substrate.

The repetition is tedious and it would be great if the first thing people saw when researching axies and ending up here is a post with maybe the title "Do not use pebbles in your tank, find out why here" with a sticky, then they may not make their axies sick in the first place.

That way we may actually prevent them making the same mistakes as the fish shop and only get healthy axie threads. People don't appear to read deep enough to see the issues and then come here when it's too late.

I think out of everything in the world of axies this is one of the biggest issues and would make a great announcement / sticky.

mewsie

Reaction score
Agreed - it would also add credibility to our 'please lord take those stones out' posts. As in, not just personal opinion, but the opinion of a whole community.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but people don't usually read the stickies anyway. But if someone wants to write a thorough post about adequate substrate that covers all the topics, we can sticky it. Touch on the different types of sand, gravel, pebbles, slate, bare-bottom, etc. why they're good, how to clean them, etc., and a collection of pictures (used with permission if they're not your own), that would be fantastic!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Thanks OZ.

Truth be told, Caudata Culture, the Axolotl sanctuary, and the axolotl site are Big, Bright, beautiful stickies...and folks rarely use those as they should either.

The same can be said for the forum search function.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Kaysie and Johnny nailed it in the head....the information is out there, repeated hundreds of times, in posts and articles and still people don´t do their research. I very much doubt that a sticky would make any impact because people will still neglect to read anything and go directly to asking. The possitive thing about the sticky would be that whenever the problem arises (and it will always continue to arise) you could just link to it and be done with it, but we already have Johnny´s article for that, and it´s really good.

Many of us even have links in our signatures and that doesn´t make much of an impact either...

kay

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I completely agree with you guys on the fact that people neglect to use the search function. However, with that being said I have had a few instances were I have sat for hours trying to find the information I need to no avail. For instance, I kept hearing conflicting views of how to keep T. Kweichowenis. One person told me to use the search function and I would find all the info I need.... Yet, I was already doing this and many of the posts I found were saying they were keeping their animals in a mainly aquatic set-up. It wasn't until some very nice people took the time to directly say to me, "I keep mine on land; it is the best set-up" and so on. I find that if you are a first time owner, you need that information to be stated right in your face practically. As for substrate, it is clear when in comes to gravel, pebbles, sand, ect in terms of aquatic set-UPS. Many posts have been made and it is very easy to find on here. Alas, when looking on caudata culture, there is a link in the side bar that talks about set-UPS with pictures. After browsing through these I happened to stumble upon one of the best articles I have read covering all the different terrestrial substrate, their purpose, pros and cons. The only downfall is that this article is hard to find and you need to click various links to get to it. It might be beneficial to post that as a sticky or make it little bit more accessible on caudata culture.

Sorry for making this so long. And again; these are just a few suggestions from my personal experience.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Daz, a sticky has been added. I agree with the other Debbie Downers that a lot of people don't read these things anyway, but a sticky is a useful place for organizing links. I have been keeping a collection of links to forum threads about the evils of stones and gravel, so it's good that this list is now posted. When someone is doubting the risk, point them to that sticky.

Penny

Reaction score
Whilst there does seem to be a number of topics and posts regarding substrate and illness I am sure that the are just as many people out there who are reading the forum and researching as much as possible.

I have owned my axies for over a year now. I purchased them from two very reputable and well known aquarium/pet stores. Having no idea about axies to begin with I relied on the "care sheets" that both places provided me. Neither of them mentioned anything about the dangers of pebbles and small rocks. Infact one store sold me pebbles as a part of their axolotl set up.

It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago, when I noticed one of my axies was looking depressed, floating and wasn't eating, that I went back to the aquarium and asked what the problem could be. Not one person could provide me with any information at all, aside from the usual water parameters. However they did suggest that I get on the net and do some research. That's how I found this place.

And wow hasn't it been an eye opener!

My axies are now on sand, and surprise surprise, my sick one eliminated a huge number of pebbles over the first few days of being on sand.

So even though there wasn't a sticky beforehand, I still thoroughly read the entire site and now have 2 happy axies :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1