Question: When should I change their diet?

Lelez

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought 2 juvenile axolotls a few weeks ago and they are growing rapidly! I started off feeding them each 1 krill a day, but am now feeding them 2 a day because they have gotten bigger and the water is around 65-70 degrees F. I read somewhere that in warmer water they become hungrier. They are probably around an inch and a half long. My question is at what point should I switch to something different, like earthworms? Also, am I feeding them too much, not enough, or just right?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie :happy:

at this point u should buy blood worms, start off with half a cube for both and a littl bit of the food they are on now with in 4-6 feedings switch fully to blood worms. blood worms will last u a long time, once they get about 3 inches they can have one cube each and could also be switched to live earth worms and any other food u wish( i do mine like this because i dont want to go from a small soft food to a large harder food, i dont want to shock them) also blood worms can be feed to axolotls its whole life they never grow them out so u dont have to worry about wasting ur money. also i feed my matuer 7-9 inch axolotls half a blood worm 2 times a week, or axolotl pellets. i have 4 axolotls

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back