Male, female, or unknown?

Lemi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cassi
I've had this little guy for about three and a half weeks. This is my third and the others are male, so I'm really hoping this one will be a girl. I was just wondering if someone could give me an educated guess. (S)He is about four inches long and has grown about an inch since I got him or her with little change in the cloaca.

It still needs another few inches of growing to tell you.

I agree with Coastal, I think it is still too young to identify. What size is it now?

Last edited:
Coastal is spot on. Sometimes you won't know the sex until around 24 months of age. If you do some searching on this forum you'll find others who have run into their axolotl not showing the characteristics of their sex until the 2 year mark. However, I was able to sex my axies at around 4 inches with no problem or later surprises. If it is a male, you know. With females on the other hand you'll likely second guess your judgement. Is that a predominant cloaca or not? At least this is the predicament I've run into through my experiences. Just a heads up for you though, you will not want to breed a female axolotl until they are at least 18 months.

From my experience the best time to determine the sex is when it is about 7 inches and the tips of the finger have changed colors

Thank you very much for all the responses.
(S)He is about four inches at the moment. Maybe it's not such a great picture, but I do kind of see the cloaca. It's not huge but somewhat noticeable at certain angles. I've had two boys and I've never actually seen a female, just pictures.

Females are generally fatter and have small to very little vents. when you see a female and a male in the same tank you will know the diference:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back