Question: Baby alpine newt

MessyFunk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for making my first post here a newbie question, but.. I've researched the alpine newt I'm receiving in a few weeks and as I understand he/she is only just morphed so I've also ordered the newt a large exo terra plastic vivarium for its terrestrial phase.

Firstly is this tank adequate size for just the one baby newt (Flat Faunarium - Large 46 x 30 x 17cm)

Am I right about the phase it will be going through, and apart from a water bowl and damp environment does he need any swimming water at all?

I also have a proper tank for when the newt is capable of swimming, if anyone has any experience of alpine newts how long do they tend to stay in the terrestrial phase? Do I use the tanks filter in the tank because all of the wild newts around here seem to prefer the stagnant water?

Apologies if any of these questions are already answered here on the forum, I've tried using the search to find my answers and have checked every care sheet I can find but haven't had any luck so far regarding baby alpine newts.

Edit: forgot to mention it is the Ichthyosaura alpestris alpestris breed

The main problem i had with alpine newts was keeping the temperature low enough for them to be comfortable, mine seemed to get stressed over 68 degrees. I had to re home them in the end because i just couldn't keep them cool enough.

Had this little guy for a few days now and he settled in very quick, I've only managed to get him to eat one worm so far but I do keep giving him plenty of food.. the problem at the moment is he just kills everything very violently then leaves it! Is this normal behaviour?

He literally just stalked a woodlouse around the tank for about half an hour before massacring it and leaving it there. :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back