Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to find tiger or blue spotted salamanders?

MrMcFrizzy

Reaction score
I live in MN and I have always wanted to find a salamander. The area in which I live, there are only two salamanders that live here. The tiger salamander and the blue spotted salamander. I've been looking for the past few weeks outside after storms and rain, flipping logs, rocks, and other things (I always gently put them back) but have still yet to find them. Do you guys have any tips on finding one of those species? We also have eastern newts which would be cool to find also. I just don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe its too late in the year to find them anymore? I just want to try and find one before winter comes if possible. Any tips along with advice are much appreciated!

Also, sidenote, if anyone here knows where I can purchase a tiger or blue spotted salamander in MN or somewhere online that I can get them from that would be great. I eventually want to have one as a pet, as I really enjoy keeping native species of animals. :happy:

merman

Reaction score
You should have no problems finding a captive bred tiger, but you may need to travel elsewhere in the Midwest or have it shipped to you. Check the forum index. These species will go to ground making them difficult to find. Look in the vicinity of standing water without fish and after storms and you may have more luck. Recent explosions in the raccoon population as they adapt to human habitation pretty much keeps open woodland areas clear of any small ground creatures. They tend to chew the heads off in front of the poison glands on the neck and leave the rest of the animal dead.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm a fellow Minnesotan, too. I'm in the Twin Cities.

I'm in the woods frequently with my dogs, so I'm somewhat limited in my search for herps. I've never found a native newt or salamander. I have only recently flipped a red belly snake, which is supposed to be very common in our state.

The first thing is to understand MN laws about collecting amphibians, and also their distribution. The DNR web site says that salamanders are not protected, but that, "Although these species are currently unprotected, many face significant conservation issues, so we discourage the collection and sale of wild-caught animals."

It also notes that the legality of collecting unprotected species is still dependent on the rules and laws of the area (cities, counties, state park, national refuges, etc.).

You can find tiger salamanders on occasion at the Twin Cities reptile expos. I think there was just one in early September. Check for future expos on Craiglist and Facebook.

Methos5K here on this forum is a Twin Cities-based Minnesotan who breeds and sells newts, including the eastern newt.

Two good MN DNR links:

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/reptiles_amphibians/sales.html

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/mcbs/amphibian-reptile-maps.html

MrMcFrizzy

Reaction score
MnGuy Thanks for the response! I have been looking at legality of collecting wild caught animals to make sure it is legal. I most likely will purchase a captive bred one from someone because I don't want to disrupt the population of them. I still think it'd be really cool to find them, however! I'll be sure to check out the user you mentioned!:happy:

MrMcFrizzy

Reaction score
Yeah, I will continue my search for people selling them near me. The racoon thing is quite interesting though, I guess I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice on finding them! It does kind of suck that they are both mole sals because it makes it a lot harder to find them :( I'm going to go out this weekend when it's supposed to rain and look again.

MnGuy

Reaction score
MnGuy Thanks for the response! I have been looking at legality of collecting wild caught animals to make sure it is legal. I most likely will purchase a captive bred one from someone because I don't want to disrupt the population of them. I still think it'd be really cool to find them, however! I'll be sure to check out the user you mentioned!:happy:

No problem. I've never kept a wild-collected reptile or amphibian as an adult, but I did as a child and I've kept wild-collected fish in aquariums that were collected with the Minnesota Aquarium Society. So, I'm not ardently against the practice when done legally and without harming local populations.

I've considered keeping baby American toads since you can never find them for sale captive bred.

Good luck.

MrMcFrizzy

Reaction score
I've considered keeping baby American toads since you can never find them for sale captive bred.

Good luck.

I actually have four wild caught American toads as pets right now! Such simple care, but still very interesting and fun animals to keep! I have two males and two females so I'm hoping once they reach sexual maturity to attempt breeding. Thanks again for the help and response!

MnGuy

Reaction score
I actually have four wild caught American toads as pets right now! Such simple care, but still very interesting and fun animals to keep! I have two males and two females so I'm hoping once they reach sexual maturity to attempt breeding. Thanks again for the help and response!

Cool. I love them. Good luck with your breeding plans.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!