C. e. p. juvie semi aquatic setup (pics)

I

ira

aq1.JPG

here is the semi aquatic tank i just set up for my C.e.p. juvies. it is a 5 gallon, with about 1 inch of water in it. any suggestions or reccomendations?

I like it Ira,
They should take to it okay...I dont think you will have any drowning problems...Good Luck with them...BTW, what are you feeding them...And how big are they?

Looks good. As they become aquatic, you can raise the water level. Just be sure to clean daily until the water is deep enough for a filter. I find that shallow setups are a pain, but necessary at times.

jen,

how do you reccomend feeding them? i put black worms in today but none seemed interested. granted it is only thier 2nd full day in the enclosure, but i am still being a worried parent.

I keep my juveniles in a semiaquatic setup, and I handfeed them almost dayly...aquaic ones don't need to be handfeed as they eat chironomus from the bottom of the aquatic part, while terrestrial are fed with chironomus/chooped earthworms with tweezers...

bye
Leo

mine are not very receptive to tweezer feeding. they run away when they see the tweezers coming and refuse to take the food.

Follow the Johnson method (tm). Get yourself a toothpick (you know, the little wooden guys, preferably the pointy ones), some frozen bloodworms and a lot of patience! Thaw the frozen bloodworms and then pick up mouth-sized clumps of bloodworm on the end of the toothpick. Wave this in front of the terrestrial newts (or aquatic if they're at the surface). They will eventually start taking them. You might have to starve them into submission though, so don't offer anything else for a few days while you do this. They'll come around to your way of thinking eventually.

Good luck!

they are feeding, the black worms are climbing around in the plants and the newts are hunting through the plants eating the worms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back