Hello from northern California and looking for Axolotls

ashtree

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings! :D

I am new to Caudata and am very excited to be part of an online community so full of information and passionate people. I live in Humboldt County and am hoping to find a couple albino axolotls babies to call my own. I am willing to drive out of state to find some, preferably between southern Oregon to Portland. If I were to find someone willing to ship, that would be awesome too!

I look forward to learning more on this site and thank you all for creating such an amazing resource!

P.S. I know axolotls are illegal in California... I'm currently trying to find more information on obtaining a permit in California. From what I understand, the laws have been put into place to protect native species from hybirdizing with introduced axolotls. I have no intent of releasing axolotls, am responsible enough to contain them and love them enough to deal with the consequences.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
I guess that the regulation in the US are understandable, but it is so unfortunate for those who are interested in axolotls and other fascinating creatures.
I didn't realise that you could apply for a permit, best of luck with that and please let us know how you get on.

Can you obtain a permit? I too live in California and would love to have axolotls :/ unfortunately can't get one cause of this law! :(:(:(:( did you get any info?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back