Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

California laws

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen many people not willing to ship this species to California. However, i cannot seem to find a true legal document that does not allow them to be shipped to California. Can anyone show this document to me? Thanks!

pete

Reaction score
As I understand the California laws. It is illegal to import/sell Tiger salamanders into the state, because of interbreeding that has occured with the native California tiger salamanders. However, if a Tiger salamander is born in the state of any species, it can be sold. I'm pretty sure axolotls didn't fall under that law, but it's been a while since looked into things. I was in your shoes once. Good luck chasing down that law. On a positive note, you should beable to find axolotls, for sale in CA pet stores. I've seen them.

Miggs

Reaction score
Any store you might point me in the direction of?

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
I would look into collecting one of the hybrids. If found in the wild they are supposed to be destroyed because they wreak havoc on local ecosystems. They get larger than either of their parent species and eat everything. You could probably look into adopting one rather than having some of the collected specimens destroyed. But as far as I know it is pretty illegal to sell Ambystoma species in California.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!