Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worried about my axie's floating butt

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've had my axies for about 3 weeks now and have been cycling my tank (20% water change daily) for that period of time. I have 2 questions.

1) My wild-type axie seems to be acting a little differently. When he's at the bottom of the tank, his butt and tail seem to keep floating and dragging him up to the top, where he stays most of the time. I've inspected him and can't see any obvious swellings in his belly or anything noticeably wrong with him. He's also been snapping at bubbles on the water's surface and swimming around a lot more frantically than usually, sometimes a little lopsided. Does anyone know what could be wrong or anything that I could be doing?
My ammonia reading is between 0 and 0.25 and all the other levels seem to be fine. The temperature is 18/19C. They aren't in direct sunlight. The filter is facing the wall to lower current. They have 2 plantpot hidey holes and a skull. They have a fan directed at the water to cool it and keep the water surface agitated. The substrate is large beach pebbles. I feed them either a worm or a cube of frozen bloodworm about 3 times a week. My other leucistic axie is totally fine- no strange behaviour or gulping. I don't know what's wrong!

2) On the top of my aquarium water is an iridescent film that breaks when the water is stirred. There are also tiny amounts of foam at 2 of the corners of the tank. I remove the film daily when i do my water changes with a blot of tissue but it comes back every day. Does anyone know what it is or if it's harmless?

Thanks guys!

lea

Reaction score
I hve no idea about the film on top of the tank sorry but the floating butt could be as simple as your axie needs to poop :D. Do you have gravel or something small enough to be eaten in the tank? Keep doing the water changes and keep an eye on your axie if things dont improve maybe he might need a holiday in the fridge to help pass whatever is stuck

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I get a "film" around the time my tanks need a water change so my guess is it has something to do with waste. When I do my water change I simply skim the top of the water with a jug to remove it then do a 20% water change with a siphon. It'll then be clear until they need a water change again. Its's never caused my axolotls any harm. Constipation is your best bet with the floating, being as it's his rear end giving him trouble. It's usually best to let nature run it's course however, if you feel it is an on going problem, fridging is an option to aid passing.

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
There's nothing in the tank that's small enough to be eaten, I don't think (See attached pic). He's floating at the top now and is swimming a little lopsided : ( Is it possible that the film might be something to do with cycling? I'll keep doing 20% daily water changes and removing the film at the same time. I will keep a close eye on Spook, he's figured out ways to anchor himself down by sitting inside the skull or underneath some plants. How long should I leave it until it would be best to fridge him? Also, should I avoid feeding him until the issue has been resolved? (Feeding day is tomorrow).
Thanks for your help :D

Attachments

• SAM_1412.jpg
    SAM_1412.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,477

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
There's nothing in the tank that's small enough to be eaten, I don't think (See attached pic). He's floating at the top now and is swimming a little lopsided : ( Is it possible that the film might be something to do with cycling? I'll keep doing 20% daily water changes and removing the film at the same time. I will keep a close eye on Spook, he's figured out ways to anchor himself down by sitting inside the skull or underneath some plants. How long should I leave it until it would be best to fridge him? Also, should I avoid feeding him until the issue has been resolved? (Feeding day is tomorrow).
Thanks for your help :D

One of my boys is prone to constipation (for whatever reason?!) and it usually passes after 2-3 days. Maybe keep an eye on him for another day or 2 then do what you feel's best, fridging wise :happy:

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Okay I shall do. You're all so very wise x

Haha, I don't think we're wise! We've just spent hours watching axolotls, learning about axolotls and doing anything/everything related to axolotls! As will you, welcome to the madness! Once you have axolotls, there's no going back ;)

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
That counts as wisdom! I already refer to them as my babies and have started signing off cards and such as 'Love from Jen, Spook and Snork'. Ha.
Does anyone happen to know of any sites that sell axolotl things? I'm shocked about how little there is out there, I've seen the caudata shop, zazzle and that's about it. I'm going to have to start handmaking some badges or something!

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
That counts as wisdom! I already refer to them as my babies and have started signing off cards and such as 'Love from Jen, Spook and Snork'. Ha.
Does anyone happen to know of any sites that sell axolotl things? I'm shocked about how little there is out there, I've seen the caudata shop, zazzle and that's about it. I'm going to have to start handmaking some badges or something!

I know, merchandise is quite sparse for axolotls! A very dear friend of mine makes soft toys for me which I adore and my boyfriend is always drawing pictures of them! There is a member that makes phone cases etc and they advertise on here - check the sale threads. I've also seen bags and tshirts on ebay so that's another option.

Moobear2010

Reaction score
My axies bum does this he just needs to poop i usually starve for 24/48 hrs when i notice it then he poops and all is normal again :)

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
Ahhh thanks so much! I thought he was doing handstands, I was going to get him some shoes made of lead for his back legs! I don't think I've even seen an axie poop yet :eek: But I won't feed him until he stops this weird butt float dance. My dad says I should start a traveling axie circus :rolleyes:

Moobear2010

Reaction score
Sure we coul all pitch in on that one axies are very amusing little things :) poops like a little black jelly bean i wa soooo amazed (as wierd as that sounds) wen i seen mine do it first ever time x

fzchk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My axie Keating has/had the same problem. So I fed her a little less and kept an eye on her as well as letting enough water out of the tank so that she could touch the ground to at least chill her out a bit. I came back from work today to find her near belly up and thinking that she was dead I went to grab her but she was well and truly alive but listing quite a lot.
For a bit of background, she has swallowed and spat up a stone in the past so I'm aware she could have internal problems, but she eats fine and seems generally happy, apart from the frantic swimming to try and get to the bottom of the tank and today. So I've popped her in the fridge...here are the questions; so I know I should look for vom and poop but what else should I look for? I mean she doesn't seem bloated at all in fact I've always been worried that her head seems to big for her body but she is definitely not underfed. How long should I leave her in the fridge for, I have some chilled fresh water and cycled water so I'm prepared for a long stay but I'm just not sure how long is sufficient to make sure she's better - if she should get better. Should I keep feeding her as normal? I realise that if I'm trying to get rid of an obstruction, making more obstruction is not such a great idea, but I'm always unsure how to approach fasting in such...shall we say, inexpressive animals.
I just checked on her and offered her a little to eat and she took it and was still rather active; she's been in the fridge for about 6 hours.
Any help would be appreciated.

JLCoolJ

Reaction score
I'm not the most experienced person here, but to update you on what happened with my axie. He worked out how to anchor himself in the water by sitting in my dinosaur skull and that stopped him swimming frantically at weird angles. Then I fed him and after that he seemed normal again?! Mystery. Is your axie's butt still floating while she's being fridged?

fzchk

Reaction score
Its hard to tell because the water is shallow. She's active and is a bit ill tempered so I suppose she's doing well but this is only after a short time in the fridge. I will repost this as a new thread and hopefully gain the attention of the others.

Thanks for your help though, I don't have a dinosaur skull for her to anchor herself under in fact she doesn't even like being inside her pipe. This is why I let some of the water out, so she didn't need to anchor herself. One thing I did notice was that she was trying to burrow into the stones on the bottom of the tank which was super distressing to watch :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!