Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Live Crickets - Please Help Me

nagukush

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Hope all is well and great !

Just wanted to request if anybody here cultures Crickets and if you can kindly sell some to me regularly (either pinheads or a little larger or even the eggs) There are no stores here in India and I will be so very garteful forever if someone can kindly sell me some or even if you can buy some for me ( just a few ) and send them to me... I know I'm asking too much but I really dont have anyone else to help me...

Thanks a lot !
Regards and Care
Kush

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You might want to try and post an ad in the International wanted section. You may have better luck that way but I don't know if I have seen any other members from India that would be able to help you.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I would send u crickets eggs if I wasn't positive it is illegal. Just catch your own place them in a tank with an inch of moist soil and raise you own. Put a dozen females in the tank wait a week. Remove the adults and wait a week or two for the eggs to hatch. That what I do if I need pin heads.

nagukush

Reaction score
I would send u crickets eggs if I wasn't positive it is illegal. Just catch your own place them in a tank with an inch of moist soil and raise you own. Put a dozen females in the tank wait a week. Remove the adults and wait a week or two for the eggs to hatch. That what I do if I need pin heads.

Hi Sir,

Thanks a lot for caring and for the kindness. Sir, this is what I had in mind - to culture my own crickets but I have no experience and couldnt find anything on google too. I even tried to catch / find adult crickets to breed but couldnt locate any here.

Sir, is there any fav food of the Crickets that I can use to attract them. I very rarely see (may be once in a few months) a few crickets near my home so I think they must be somewhere nearby. Will be a great help if you can kindly let me know what food might attract them best and a few guidelines on how to make a trap for them.

Sir, also want to request you to kindly guide me a little on the best way to culture / make them breed - like tank setup, food, conditions etc so that I can breed them myself. Also does the tank / container need to be very tall so that they dont fly / jump out ?

Kindly help me Sir. Thanks again for all the Care...
Lots of Regards
Kush

Nathan

Reaction score
I suggest you try breeding roaches instead. They are easier to breed than crickets, less likely to escape, and are silent and odorless. Here is some info on breeding Turkistan roaches, but it should be applicable to most roach species: http://www.nyworms.com/turkistancare.htm

jclee

Reaction score
I found one insect breeder that claims to sell internationally: http://www.mulberryfarms.com/shipping.htm You could contact them to see if they will ship crickets (legally) to you, and use those crickets to begin a breeding colony. If you do catch enough wild crickets to breed, you will want to give them their own breeding tank. I found you a thread from April that explains how to breed crickets: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60813&highlight=breed+crickets . There is more information if you so an online search, but this thread seems to cover the basics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1