Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How long do Chinese Fire Belly Newt live for?

MaDsci

Reaction score
I have been reading several forums trying to figure out for certain how long chinese fire belly newts can live. Some sites say 3-4 others say 20+ years and this one person on wikianswers said he purchased one 24 years ago and hes still going strong. The oldest one that I have is 3.5 years. Now I want to settle this debate once and for all and figure out just truly how long these little guys can live for?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
My first suggestion is to never trust any information from wiki anything...;)

As for longevity, many well cared for caudates live a long time. This varies with species. As stated many Cynops live for 20 years give or take, however most succumb to poor husbandry or illness much much sooner.

Caudata Culture has excellent information from verified sources on this topic. Check it out, there is a ton of great stuff on there you will find interesting. (Me, I go for the pictures...):D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1