Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axoltl Egg Setup?

Densestjaguar66

Reaction score
My Axoltls laid a load of eggs and I want to raise a few, what equipment should I use (Filters, lights, heater ect.) and how often do I water change?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I'm not too experienced with this but will give you whatever pointers I have until someone else comes along :)
You only need to use a small tub with dechlorinated water, if the eggs are attached to any decorations in the tank you can just put the decoration in the tub so you don't disturb the eggs. I'll say daily 100% water changes (I'm not sure if you also do this while they are in the eggs, or only when they hatch). No lights and definitely no heater needed. Don't use a filter because they're so small. A sponge filter would be okay when they are bigger. Changing the water every day I imagine would provide enough oxygenation and keep the ammonia etc away.
Once they hatch you want to feed live food as they will need to hunt it out. I've read that people use brine shrimp and/or daphnia. You can search for these in the forums to find out how to raise/care for the live food. Keep the water level low as well so they don't have to swim up too much to get to the surface.
You will also need to separate the axolotls into size categories, so have a few tubs ready. Cannibalism will happen with juveniles so grouping them according to size will give them the best chance for survival.
Goodluck!

McReel

Reaction score
I used a common fish bowl and an air pump.
I didn't do water changes until they hatched, from then on, i did daily changes (80%)
And indeed, cannibalism...i started with about 30, now i'm left with 2 (went on 3-day holiday)

For food i bought some live daphnia and started breeding those.
More info on breeding them can be found here.

I now ordered a 15 liter tank with filter to raise the remaining 2.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!