Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: First Axolotl and Tank

aussieaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m new to this website and I’m just wondering how you feel about my new Axolotl tank. My Axolotl is an 8 month old gold albino and I’ve fed her half a cube of frozen bloodworms. The tank has a sand substrate with 1 fake plant (I went to buy more today but they were out of stock), a large rock, a pipe, filter and fan. I will be getting more plants and a backdrop so it doesn’t look as plain. Tips and opinions are appreciated :)

- Emma

Attachments

• 6DA80400-04B6-4F45-8089-862597BB0678.jpg
    6DA80400-04B6-4F45-8089-862597BB0678.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 231F1055-E52C-4968-80EC-5B5A3AF70A21.jpeg
    231F1055-E52C-4968-80EC-5B5A3AF70A21.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 215

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Looks great! If that's an internal filter keep an eye on the water temps as they are known to heat it up quite a bit. I love the pipe as a hide!
If she's 8 months old you can move on to feeding earthworms (nightcrawlers specifically). They don't sell them in stores in Sydney but there are a few online places you can order from. I've used TheWormMan and Jan Juc fishing worms with success. You may need to cut the worms up if they are too big to eat in one go :)

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Just hit me today because I was at the pet store....I have a similar (but not the same) in tank filter. Axolotls are champion poopers. If there was a pooping olympics they would probably at very least place in their weight division. Now, I find that my in tank filter in particular can the motor can get a little blocked up sometimes, and the water doesn't get forced through the media the way it should be....now, this can be alleviated some by watching for poop and getting it out swiftly, but most of us work or have school or both, so there will be times you don;t catch it and your axie tramples upon it and launches bits of it in to the surrounding water, and in to the filter it goes. So what I do is when I do water changes take the media out, rinse that in the old water in the bucket, and let the filter run in the bucket as well for a few minutes with no media. gets any gunk out but since it's aquarium water it doesn't interfere with the cycle.

for whatever reason i've only seen this problem with the in tank.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Just hit me today because I was at the pet store....I have a similar (but not the same) in tank filter. Axolotls are champion poopers. If there was a pooping olympics they would probably at very least place in their weight division. Now, I find that my in tank filter in particular can the motor can get a little blocked up sometimes, and the water doesn't get forced through the media the way it should be....now, this can be alleviated some by watching for poop and getting it out swiftly, but most of us work or have school or both, so there will be times you don;t catch it and your axie tramples upon it and launches bits of it in to the surrounding water, and in to the filter it goes. So what I do is when I do water changes take the media out, rinse that in the old water in the bucket, and let the filter run in the bucket as well for a few minutes with no media. gets any gunk out but since it's aquarium water it doesn't interfere with the cycle.

for whatever reason i've only seen this problem with the in tank.

Had a good laugh at this! The only thing I've seen messier than an axolotl is my turtle. I used to have a filter like this for him when he was smaller and I used to do exactly what you said!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!