Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My female axie is floating

Spyko

Reaction score
My demale axolotl is floating any ideas on why? like is it just cause she wants to or air bubbles?

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you have any photos? Is she constantly up the top, and how long has it been happening? Some axolotls like to float but constant/unable to go down floating usually indicates constipation/gas.

Spyko

Reaction score
she is always right side up and seems to be doing it alot its been all night and shes still doing it

Spyko

Reaction score
sorry for not replying in a while incident with one of my reptiles happened. she is still floating but i think that it is just caused by the amount of ajr she takesnin during feeding as she frequently misses worms and afterwards floats around to the point were i cant even keep her down with a finger. she hadnt pooped for a long time as well but she did a really big poop a few days ago and hasnt really helped. probs just air wich she eventually belches out

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Keep an eye on her. If she isn't passing the air I would fridge for a bit just to get it through. Is she eating like normal?

Spyko

Reaction score
she seems to pass air just fine she just constantly swallows it during feeding as she comes to the surface and snaps alot. sorry for not replying had a disaster with some of my reptiles.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If she is pooping and eating fine, and is able to go down to the bottom then it shouldn't be anything to worry about. If she is unable to get to the bottom try fridging in case there is gas or constipation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1