Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatchlings with transparent eyes?

NewtScamander

Reaction score
Hello,
The eggs from my leucistic (female) and golden albino (male) recently hatched and I appear to be getting two different morphs. Half appear to be wild type, but the other half are light grey with transparent or possibly no eyes. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hint as to what morph the second half is? All of the eggs were brown/black so I was not expecting any hatchlings to be albino, could they be leucistic? The eyes are just really throwing me off...

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_5732.jpg
    IMG_5732.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_5733.jpg
    IMG_5733.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 282

Tjebb

Reaction score
Super cool photos!
It might be that they were born eyeless, but you have quite a few without the appearance of eyes. I have a melanistic (I think) axolotl who, when I got him, had no eyes. He then developed them over time, so that may also be the case.
Good luck figuring this out!

Lunarwolf413

Reaction score
It’s probably albinos since they’re too small at this stage to see their eyes. Mine did the same thing.

NewtScamander

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
They're now about 2 inches long and they have eyes!!! They were just albino but now they are beautiful and with functional eyes. I was really shocked to get the variety out of this group that I did. I semi-expecting all wild types!

Attachments

• DSCF3653.jpg
    DSCF3653.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 270
  • DSCF3654.jpg
    DSCF3654.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 217
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1