Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many pellets to feed axolotl?

selenalily

Reaction score
I have an axolotl, and i feed him salmon pellets. he loves them. i’ve never had any success with floating pellets, or worms, he just seems to like these the most. if i drop the pellets into his tank, and they sink to the ground, he seems to miss them or not notice they are there, and continues to beg for food. i sort of give him however much he will eat, or until i feel like he’s had enough. i want to make sure i’m giving him enough food, and i’m not giving him too much. he’s still pretty young, about 6 months old. what would be the best way to make sure he gets enough food, and how many pellets should he have? i’ve wanted to try putting the pellets in some sort of dish or cup and seeing if he would eat them that way. i’m open to suggestions!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
At the moment my axie has decided pellets are the only thing she is eating so I just feed pellets until she stops taking them. Drop one at a time, let them "chew" it, then offer another. She is an adult so will eat anywhere between 10-15 a day. Body condition is the best way to tell whether they are eating enough. If you notice he is losing weight then try and offer more food. If he wont take more food in a feeding session then try 2 meals a day.
You can try the dish, sometimes mine will hunt out missed pellets, but they do foul the water pretty quickly so you don't want to leave them in for long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1