Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Possible new Axolotl Owner

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Over the few months I have been looking to add another pet to my life. I've fancied keeping fish or amphibians in the past, but the initial cost of a decent sized aquarium and all the bits put me off. As well as the fact I moved around lot!
Now however, I have got a 64l (61cm x 44cm x33cm ) tank from a colleague at work to start me off :eek: Now I have a tank, I find I am drawn more to keeping amphibians than fish.

I've thought about getting an axolotl as I've ready they are pretty hardy animals, and are suitable for a cold water tank and ideal for beginners to keep. My house is not the warmest so I think running a cold tank would be easier (correct me if I am wrong).
Although I have been reading up on keeping them, I still have some questions.

1. Tank size/Dimensions. Is "floor space" more important to Axolotls than water depth? And if so, what is a good size for keeping two axolotls in together? I figure that my current tank is probably only suitable for one axolotl?

2. Plants and things - I would love to have a carpet of green "grass" at the bottom of the tank and lovely lush plants, however are there any benefits to using live plants over fake plants for axolotl? If using fake plants do I need to be wary of plants/bits of plants that the axolotl could possibly try and eat? I've noticed a lot of people have a mirrored bottom tank, do Axolotls like seeing their reflection? I like the ideal of using pvc pipes as hides, what size of pipe is suitable for an adult axolotl and do you need to treat it before putting it in the tank?

3. Food - Pellets or live or frozen? Or a mix ? When feeding other pets I always find they get bored of eating the same thing every day... Is there a general rule that axolotls do better on a particular food, or is variety good for them? From what I have read they are not usually fussy!

4.Stand-by things - I am completely new to aquatics. Is there such a thing as a fist aid kit for them that if something were to happen I could help them? I've ready about tea and salt baths, but I don't really know what they are, or how often people need to do them. Is there certain tools, tricks, etc that I should have and read up on ? Should I use a net to move the axolotl from the tank if need be or is it better to simply scoop them out in a plastic tub? Feel free to send me links on this subject :eek:

Sorry for all the questions, but I prefer to do my research before buying a new pet. I'm visiting my local aquatics shop today to pick up hopefully all I need to sett the tank up. Next I just need to find somewhere to buy an axolotl from! So if anyone knows someone in Scotland who is selling some, or will have some ready early next year, please let me know.

Giuseppe

Reaction score
1) that size tank should be ok for one full grown axi if a little bit on the small side. General rule of thumb is 20 gallons for 1 axi + 10 for each additional. They do prefer floor space but I have used ledges and turtle docks to provide more "floor" for them in my tall tank. Also if this is your first time with aquatics you should look into the nitrogen cycle as your tank will have to be fully cycled before adding livestock.

2) live plants are more difficult in an axi tank because they need low temp/low light which are not a good environment for most aquatic plants, but it is possible. There is a thread on here recommending suitable plants that you should be able to search. Fake plants are perfectly okay, as long as they dont have pieces that easily come off and arent too sharp. The mirrored bottoms you are seeing are just bare bottom tanks with no substrate, some keepers choose that because its easy to clean and you dont risk the axi eating the substrate. axis dont need to see their reflection. Axolotl will eat anything that fits in their mouth so gravel and small stone flooring is dangerous to them. If you dont like barebottom sand or large tiles/stone (bigger than axi head) are an option. Ive been considering using some plastic grass/astroturf on the bottom as I know some keepers have and liked it. Sorry dont know anything about pipes.

3) I think the best food for axolotl nutritionally is earthworms/nightcrawlers but axolotl pellets are ok too. Frozen foods are a good treat but most don't have complete nutrition for an adult. I do a mix of both to mix things up for them and depending on what works for me (pelleta are easier when I'm in a rush)

4) Salt baths and tea baths are only necessary for fungal infection or in the case of tea baths sometimes slime coat issues. I would maybe just read the stickys on the Sick axolotl forum for some common issues/treatment. You should have a water testing kit standing by and test your water regularly, a lot of health issues can be traced to and prevented by water quality. I recommend api freshwater master test kit. You can use a net or simple scoop into a tub if you need to remove your axolotl from the tank, whatever works for you.

Great job doing your research before getting your pet and best of luck :)

ArwenX7

Reaction score
Thanks for all that Giuseppe, I've been slowly trawling through some interesting posts on here :)

I've been reading up on cycling the tank a lot over the past few days. Went to the aquatics shop yesterday and they recommended the Seachem Prime and Stability for helping it along before I put anything in the tank. Going to kick it off over the weekend, as I have hopefully sources someone to buy a little axolotl from!

I've been thinking about buying a couple of Marimo Moss Balls and/or some java moss. Would I put these in at the beginning or wait until the tank has cycled?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!