Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does my axolotl have red leg? Or infection?

Lunathelotl

Reaction score
I have had two axolotls together for about a month now and everything was going smoothly until I noticed what looked like a bite on my lucys leg. It was a little bit red and seemed to have some pieces of skin missing so I tubbed him and have been doing 100% water changes and used some Indian almond leaves. This morning I woke up and his leg is blood red and so are his gills. The red also appears to be spreading through his body. Is this red leg? Or did he get super stressed and get an infection after my other axolotl bit him? Also if it is red leg is it possible my other axolotl will get it? I’ve included pictures of what it looked like Monday and then today. I’m really worried and feel absolutely awful that this has happened.

Attachments

• BD8A8CF8-06EC-439A-945F-F6392DD2ACEC.jpg
    BD8A8CF8-06EC-439A-945F-F6392DD2ACEC.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 3,517
  • DF09B894-00D0-49DD-B762-A5C7F070E9CD.jpg
    DF09B894-00D0-49DD-B762-A5C7F070E9CD.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 650

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with red leg other than what I have read on here, but I'm thinking that it may be. Look around for a vet near you who has dealt with caudates or is confident identifying and treating red leg. I believe treatments can work, but from what I have seen it can often be fatal.
Keep this one away from your other axolotl and watch out for early signs on that one too.
Post your water parameters and temperature. Also the axolotl's diet. Any information so we can get an idea of the environment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!