Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Fair Pricing for Axolotls

When would you rather buy an axolotl?

• Adult (ready-made, least fragile)

Votes: 61 13.0%
  • Juvenile (less fragile, can still watch them grow)

Votes: 364 77.4%
  • Egg (less friendly to novices, can watch the whole development process)

Votes: 45 9.6%

• Total voters

Krispy

Reaction score
For me the most important factors in price are the overall health and appearance of the animal. I'll pay top dollar for an axolotl, but I want to see fluffy, medium/long/very long gills, and a healthy weight. Notches in the tail are okay as long as they are healed well and not obvious. Healthy genetics are also VERY IMPORTANT, not just for individual pet axolotls, but for the entire species because the gene pool is very small and obtaining new breeding stock is near impossible. I agree with whoever said that smaller-scale breeders typically take better care of their animals because raising up axolotls is SO MUCH WORK. I feel like the breeders that axolotl enthusiasts support the most are the ones that are constantly active in the community on forums and in facebook groups, and curate their breeding programs with only the most quality axolotls.

landonewts

Reaction score
My local pet shop, with great habitat and staff experienced in Axolotl care, generally sells axiss for $40, and they are usually fairly small, around 4” long.

I got my first Axolotl from a teacher whose class raised them as a learning experience and fundraiser, and she was about 2” long when I got her for $15.

A local breeder/dealer (who I am not sure about as far as their husbandry and ethics) sells and auctions off axolotls and Andersoni hybrids. They recently auctioned off a hybrid for $295! That seemed a bit hinky to me for a variety of reasons.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!