Custom Built Glass Aquaria

Mark, I like the idea of the newt proof ledge. But won't it make the tanks rather difficult to clean?

Tristan

By the way, the other day I bought quite a promising looking terrarium from my local Pets at Home - see photo attached. It's glass with a sliding mesh lid, and has a number of levels which, with appropriate landscaping, could make a pretty good caudate habitat (I hope). I hope it will be especially good for more terrestrial species that like drier conditions on occasion. I like the mesh lid as it's fine enough to keep everything in but should give better air circulation than many vivaria. It cost £50.

Tristan

Attachments

• DSC00311.jpg
    DSC00311.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,110
That looks interesting Tristan although you would need a species that was good at climbing to make the most out of those shelves.

Cleaning is no problem -or no more than normal. The ledge still allows access to every corner of the tank.

I've built a few 6.4mm laminated versions now and figured I would risk a 4mm terrestrial tank. It's a lot sturdier than I expected and I think it could safely be used as a semi-aquatic tank. The big difference is cost - this one came in at ~£25 compared to the ~£60 for the laminated tank.

The inhabitants are N.kaiseri. Dimensions -500mm x 500mm x 250mm
picture.php

It looks realy god with the stone tile as the bottom( like brook iron like sand) and offcurse the rest of the equpment looks nice!

I will have this in mind if i myselfe build to a newt some day.

Best regards/Tomas

Simple and so realistic, congratulations!
It gives me ideas for my Paramesotriton. Thank you!

Hi Mark! Your design really is neat, and so is the terrascaping.
Lots of admiration.
Sorry for using your thread for this, but is blu tack toxic to newts? I'm thinking of using it to place on removable arcrylic ledges on my aquarium top.

Hi Mark,

I'm curious what you used to cut the tiles with? I managed to find some slate tiles, and was thinking of using a hand held grinder with a cut-off wheel?

I used a small angle grinder with a decent quality grinding wheel. It takes a while but you end up with a nice clean cut.

If you don't have an angle grinder another option is to use a drill (stone drill bit) to perforate the slate. Score or draw a line along your slate and simply drill a holes along it leaving only a couple of mm in between holes. Slate is quite soft and drills quickly so this doesn't take as long as you'd expect. When you've finished tap the smaller of the sides with a hammer and it will drop off leaving you with a very rough, jagged edge. Gently use a hammer to knock off the rough edges and finish with a file. You won't get a perfect edge doing this but your newts won't be complaining.

Just to cover myself - angle grinders are not the kind of power tool for the young or DIY "challenged". Do not attempt to use one without proper safety precautions or supervision of an experienced person. Goggles are a must.

Hey Mark - just came across this thread and wanted to ask you - will you come to the US and help me make some really nice tanks? I will even buy you lunch!
But seriously, next time my dad is in Utah I may ask him to take a look at this thread and see if he is up to the challenge with me. He likes building stuff, and I don't mind watching and occasionally offering help, so....

PS - I may have missed it somewhere in the body of the thread but what were the dimensions of the final product? Thanks!

Hi Heather, I'll hold you to that free lunch if ever I'm in Utah. I did find myself in Utah once but there were a disturbing number of taxidermists in every town - so I hot-footed it into Nevada before I got stuffed.

These aquariums are very easy to build. Get a professional to cut the glass and glue with a good quality aquarium silicone. Apply a first bead to each edge to glue the structure together. Once that's dry add a second bead along all of the inside lines - smooth this one with your finger (or similar shaped object) and use masking tape to get straight lines.

The dimensions of mine are 500mm x 500mm x 250mm. Bigger tanks may require additional support structures or thicker glass.

Hmm, if you were in Southwestern Utah (or any rural town) the taxidermist thing doesn't really surprise me.

Thank you very much for the added info, I think since my outdoor activities will be limited for the next few months I may just try your design.

Oh, and have the ledges proven "newt proof" so far?

Beautiful setup, I especially like the tiles idea.

Interestingly, after reading this post and recently went to my favorite aquarium store, I noticed most of the tanks used by the fist store are in similar dimensions as this one build here.

I asked the owner, he said that he got it custom built. Approximately $80 (CAN). He said any tank that is less than 30 gallons will need $80(CAN) at least.

Fantastic work with the tank. I really love the look of it and the layouts!

I have three question Mark:

1. Is that ledge really scape proof? have you already tested?
  2. What kind of light you use?
  3. Since you put your kaiseri in that setup, wich that pile of stones ¿Have you ever seen them again, without dismounting all the setup?
Thanks

I have three question Mark:

1. Is that ledge really scape proof? have you already tested?
  2. What kind of light you use?
  3. Since you put your kaiseri in that setup, wich that pile of stones ¿Have you ever seen them again, without dismounting all the setup?
Thanks

1. No newts have escaped in 6 months. I've seen them climb to the top on a few occasions but never attempt to walk upside down. Tiny, wet metamorphs may be able to stick upside down so I wouldn't risk them in a set-up like this. A newt with any weight would struggle to walk upside down on a smooth surface.

2. No light - all my tanks receive natural light.

3. During the night the kaiseri are quite active so I see them regularly. I also see their faces when I hand feed them - they tend to hang out under the same few rocks so they're easy to keep tabs on.

1. No newts have escaped in 6 months. I've seen them climb to the top on a few occasions but never attempt to walk upside down. Tiny, wet metamorphs may be able to stick upside down so I wouldn't risk them in a set-up like this. A newt with any weight would struggle to walk upside down on a smooth surface.

Thanks, I was trying something similar for a squared pond I have, but I didn't dare.

2. No light - all my tanks receive natural light.

Nice newt room

3. During the night the kaiseri are quite active so I see them regularly. I also see their faces when I hand feed them - they tend to hang out under the same few rocks so they're easy to keep tabs on.

What temperature are they? Mines only go out when I lift the hidings.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back