Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Missing legs

miniskop

Reaction score
This weekend I got 4 new Axolotls, where only 1 of them has all 4 legs!! 2 of them has 2 legs each, but the last one hasn't got anyone at all!:sad: They are also very small (7-8 cm), so I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help them grow their legs out the best way? Anything I should be extra cautious about?

inkozana

Reaction score
Well, really you just have to let them be. I will take around 4 months for the leg to grow back completely, but it depends where the cut off point is.

If you don't want them eating eachother, then keep them well fed and if possible you can seperate them.

kira

Reaction score
You just need to let them be and watch your water quality and temp to avoid the chance of fungus.

I agree with Stef, keep them well fed...lol

miniskop

Reaction score
That I can do! I'm offering them earthworms at least 5 times a day, so they're going to be some chubby little bastards.:D

kira

Reaction score
LOL LOL LOL

Chubby indeed!!:lol:

5 times a day is too much though. If they are skinny, try 3 times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1