Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: bubble at axo's eye

Reynders

Reaction score
i bought 2 axolotls a week ago but the temperature is changing all of the time (summertime) the temperature can reach 26 degrees Celcius i try to keep it cool with ice bottles but i think that because of the temerature swings my wild color axo is stressed because i noticed a white bubble at his eye, i don't know exactly what it is but i think because of that '' bubble'' that he is blind at one side what can i do and is my axo forever blind at his eye ?:uhoh:

Attachments

• reyrrg.jpg
    reyrrg.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 383
  • idk.jpg
    idk.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 349

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Reynders,

Unfortunately your photos are a bit blurry and i couldn't see the lesion clearly. However, based on your description and fuzzy image, i am inclined to think it might be a penetration injury, resulting in an abscess formation. Depending on the extent of the injury, there might still be hope for sight. Axies have the unique ability even to regenerate nervous tissue, so i am not surprised if sight can be restored when the abscess is treated. I would require clearer photos so i can see the lesion site better. I have to first identify if there is an eventration of the eye.

Meanwhile, i would recommend you fridge the axie. A course of antibiotics may be necessary.

Cheers.

Reynders

Reaction score
Hi Reynders,

Unfortunately your photos are a bit blurry and i couldn't see the lesion clearly. However, based on your description and fuzzy image, i am inclined to think it might be a penetration injury, resulting in an abscess formation. Depending on the extent of the injury, there might still be hope for sight. Axies have the unique ability even to regenerate nervous tissue, so i am not surprised if sight can be restored when the abscess is treated. I would require clearer photos so i can see the lesion site better. I have to first identify if there is an eventration of the eye.

Meanwhile, i would recommend you fridge the axie. A course of antibiotics may be necessary.

Cheers.

i have made a new picture for you hopefully this one is better ;)

Attachments

• Foto's-0037.jpg
    Foto's-0037.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 412

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Reydners,

Sorry to be such a bother but could you also provide a pic of the sideview of that eye?

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
ziet er onstoken uit meschien moet je iemand raad plegen tegen onstekingen

Hi Tuxinator,

Could you please post in English, the best translation I could get doesn't really make too much sense

"sees there onstoken from meschien must want to commit you someone against onstekingen"

Posting in English is in the forum rules that you agreed to when you joined the site.

Reynders

Reaction score
Hi Reydners,

Sorry to be such a bother but could you also provide a pic of the sideview of that eye?

Cheers.

No bother at all here are the pics: :d
The left one is the ''normal'' side

Attachments

• Normal Side.jpg
    Normal Side.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 375
  • ill side.jpg
    ill side.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 356
  • Ill Side2.jpg
    Ill Side2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 351

Florieke

Reaction score
Hi Tuxinator,

Could you please post in English, the best translation I could get doesn't really make too much sense

"sees there onstoken from meschien must want to commit you someone against onstekingen"

Posting in English is in the forum rules that you agreed to when you joined the site.

It sais, looks like an inflammation, maybe you should consult someone about inflammation

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Reynders,

Thanks for the photos. The good news is the eye (globe itself) is not directly affected. The white lesion near the edge of the eye (orbit area) is most likely an abscess. Sometimes when axies root around the substrate or swim into something sharp, a small puncture or cut in the skin can allow bacteria to be seeded deep in the wound. The skin can just heal over, causing the bacteria to be trapped within the walled lesion.

You would need to bring this axie to a vet. Fridging alone will not cure the condition. The vet will have to lance/drain the abscess and give it some antibiotics. The procedure is relatively quick and easy and shouldn't require extensive bills.

Cheers.

Reynders

Reaction score
Hi Reynders,

Thanks for the photos. The good news is the eye (globe itself) is not directly affected. The white lesion near the edge of the eye (orbit area) is most likely an abscess. Sometimes when axies root around the substrate or swim into something sharp, a small puncture or cut in the skin can allow bacteria to be seeded deep in the wound. The skin can just heal over, causing the bacteria to be trapped within the walled lesion.

You would need to bring this axie to a vet. Fridging alone will not cure the condition. The vet will have to lance/drain the abscess and give it some antibiotics. The procedure is relatively quick and easy and shouldn't require extensive bills.

Cheers.

Doesn't it just dissapear? because if i have to go to the vet i'm paying a LOT of money :s i think my axo is amazing but i don't want to spend hundreds of (Euro's)

Last edited:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Reynders,

Usually for an abscess, it requires drainage and antibiotic therapy which only a vet can administer for you safely. Untreated, the chances of the abscess spontaneously healing is very low.

Prolonged fridging can help halt any further deterioration but because the abscess is walled off, salt or tea baths cannot effectively penetrate into the abscess. Fridging can only help prevent further bacterial proliferation and help boost the axie's immunity but cannot completely rid of all microorganisms.

Sometimes, an abscess around the eye can deteriorate to involve the eyeball itself in which it would be much harder to treat. Thus, its still highly recommended you bring it to a vet.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1