Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Please help!

si

Reaction score
Hi, ive recently noticed my cfb newt is off his food and seems very weak, on closer inspection i found he had a milky coloured substance near his mouth, ive read through all the illness articles on caudata culture but can't see any real simularites in the problems described. Can anyone identify what the problem is and how i could help him?? any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S i do weekly water changes and remove uneaten food.
Due to winter weather the tank temp has dropped it is usually between 16-19 degrees but its currently between 11-14 degrees, i know they like it cool, but would the change be a factor?

Ive attached some pictures to see if anyone could help, thanks a lot.

Simon.:confused:

Attachments

• NEWT1.jpg
    NEWT1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 203
  • NEWT2.jpg
    NEWT2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 199
  • NEWT3.jpg
    NEWT3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 216
  • NEWT4.jpg
    NEWT4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 203

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Lack of appetite is related to low temperatures. For the metabolism of them becomes slower and not expend as much energy as the summer. Attempts to raise the temperature a few degrees more, you'll see that back to eat! My also be read as normal, very rarely eat, but they were well fed in summer keep the weight almost unchanged. The milky substance that will detect you in the mouth, I am sorry but I do not know what it is!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, first thing would be to say that your newt is not a cfb, which is one of usual common names for Cynops orientalis. It´s a Paramesotriton sp (the species is very hard to tell with those pictures, although it might be chinensis).

The temps shouldn´t be a problem. If it´s eaten less but has a good body condition you have nothing to worry about. Only if there is an obvious and drastic loss of weight you should take meassures.

It´s very hard to tell, but the white thing around the jaws could (and i´d really want to stress the "could" as a mere guess) be an infection. Paramesotriton are prone to infections given their WC origin, so it´s a possibility. Try to take a better picture, it´s really necessary for a proper identification of the problem.

Is it housed alone?

Also, i understand you took him out in order to take the pictures, but don´t do it again. Handling newts is very unrecommended and should only be done if absolutely necessary. Their skin is delicate and human contact can cause abration, plus, all contact causes some degree of stress which will only worsen it´s condition.

si

Reaction score
He was given to me from a friend, he got them from a pet shop so i assume hes wild caught and miss identified by them.

He has lost a fair bit of wieght, but i wouldn't call him skinny just yet. I don't normaly handle him, but the circumstances called for it. I will try get some better better pictures, but it is difficult with glass reflection & his skin is wet so theres flash reflection even if i take him out.

Ive been looking at older illness posts and some people have suggested daily 10% water changes? Do you know if it will help?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How long have you had it and how long did your friend had it for?

If it´s a pet-shop Paramesotriton then you can be sure it´s WC. I´m not surprised they missidentified it...¬¬ the weird thing is to see them actually identifying them right xD

If he has lost weight, you can try to fatten it up with earthworms and waxworms. Earthworms will give the necessary nutrition, and waxworms will give an extra bust of fat.

Weekly partial water changes are a good idea, because they help prevent excessive accumulation of toxic compounds in the water. You can do partial water changes of 20-10%.

Being a WC animals with loss of weight, i´m afraid that infection is a fair possibility. Try to get a better picture so that we can confirm. If it´s indeed an infection you will need to give the animal salt baths(you can find plenty of info on salt baths around the forum), or another anti-fungical/bacterial treatment.
I don´t want to bring you down but you have to be prepared if the animal doesn´t make it. Infections are hard to combat even if caught in the earlier stages, because by the time they appear the animal is usually very weak and it´s inmune system is almost gone. I´m just saying this so that you know what can happen if it´s an infection.
Goode luck, though, i hope it makes it!

si

Reaction score
Thankyou so much for your help! I hope he makes it too. I have just realised ive been following the cynops care sheets which has turned out to be wrong! Ive noticed there isn't a care sheet for any paramesotriton sub species, does anyone know any notable differances between the two? Once again thankyou for your time.
Simon

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
To me also did not seem to be a Co, but did not want to risk the kind to say it! Yes, worms are a good option, it is a rare newt which they resist. Try to give him with the tweezers! Good luck and give you news that you can help!

cheers

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just to clarify (sorry, i´m picky about this stuff xD) they are not subspecies, they are different species.
Take a look at this if you have the time(and if you are at all interested), it might help with all the taxonomy stuff:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gen...ws-members/65288-scientific-nomenclature.html

Sadly, it´s true that there´s no caresheet for any Paramesotriton species so far, but there is a wealth of information in the forum, specially in the section dedicated to this genus (and close relatives):
Species, Genus & Family Discussions - Warty Newts (<i>Paramesotriton</i> & <i>Laotriton</i>) & Paddletail Newts (<i>Pachytriton</i at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal

Since infections and other problems are common among these animals because of their WC origin, there are lots of different threads that contain information on those problems. I´m sure you´ll be able to find some useful stuff. Read as much as you can, because the more the better, for you and for your little newt.

si

Reaction score
I did say subspecies as its not clear which type of paramesotriton i have, ive checked out the differant types and also think its chinensis!
Thankyou for those links, i see how the firebelly term is mis-used first hand now!

Im going to try tweezer feeding. If that doesn't work, and if he gets weaker then im going to have to get some more pictures to identify the problem better.
I didn't really like the idea of giving salt baths but i guess there may be no option.

Thanks to you both for your advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!