Filter for Baby Axies?

shoegal

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mariah
I am in the process of raising about 60 10-day-old baby golden axies. I currently have them in a 3 gallon tank with a bubbler and no filter. I am having a challenging time keeping the water clean because there are so many babies, and I am feeding them daphnia which can get a bit messy. I do a partial water change daily. They are growing nicely, but it is a constant battle trying to keep the water clean.

Is there ANY sort of filter that can be used when axies are this small?

hi shoegal

can you seperate them into buckets so there isnt so many in one tank this might make it easier....but you will have to daily water changes until they are bigger..i use a canister filter but i have never raised babies......

lea

a sponge filter would work so there would be no risk of them being sucked up

Is there a particular brand of sponge filter you would recommend?

Small sponge filters are far less complex than canister or other types of filters, so there is very little differentiation between brands at that level. In the case of sponge filters, they will probably be fairly cheap and provide the same affect.

I agree with lea that you should seperate them out a bit.
60 is a lot of babies to look after.

I dont use filters for mine but i do 100% water changes daily.

mel

I do 100% water changes 1 - 2 per day and clean the box/tank or whatever very carefully.
The only problem isn´t the waste the little larvae produce and which has to be removed, there´s the problem in building ammonia, too, - as long as the filter/tank isn´t cycled.

-Tina-

Thanks for the responses! I have been changing the water every day, but I thought a filter might help me out a bit. This is my first time raising baby axies, but I am trying my best to do everything correctly. I might separate the group into 2-3 tanks.

My apartment is turning into a science experiment! ; )

They do take up a lot of space! And time and effort but they are worth it! Mel.

They do take up plenty of space, I would buy a couple of large sweater boxes and add plenty of java moss and an air stone of course the java moss tends to attract plenty of the garbage but you still need to do water changes. I have tried other methods but they are just a waist of money, Keep it simple.

What is 'dirty' about you water. If it is particulate matter just use a really fine mesh on the intake of any small filter...just dial down the inflow. If you are worried about organic waste use charcoal and that should clear it up. An air stone will provide adequate air/gas exchange including a higher oxygen content.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back