Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When is the best time/stage to sell baby Axolotls?

Kirby

Reaction score
Hiya Guys,

I am seeking some more baby Axxie advice and I hope that you can help.

I am currently raising 28 little baby axxies (I call them my ‘bubbles!’) They are just over two months old (Hatched 17 December) now and most of them have their front legs.

Here is the previous thread/photos/record of me raising them!

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...aby-axololt-photos-requesting-bit-advice.html

Things are going GREAT! I love the little guys and they are all doing swimmingly (see what I did there? Ha ha!) However, I have a few people who would like to purchase but I have no idea at what stage/age of their life I can start to let them go. (How much to sell them for – maybe between £5/£10? I just want good homes primarily, but any money would be a bonus!)

Is it an age thing or a development thing?

When do they become actual axolotls and not classed as larvae anymore?

I just want them to be safe and mature enough to enter the big wide world, id hate to let them go prematurely.

I think they are around 2 Inches in size.

If you guys could help, that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance

Neil C

Reaction score
I wouldn't sell them until they have all four legs but of course it is completely up to you or what your buyers want.

Regards Neil

Kirby

Reaction score
Hey Neil,

Thanks for your advice. I will most definitely wait until they have grown their back legs then. NO worries. Tbh, i'm not in a rush to rehome them, i have fallen in love with each and everyone and really love looking after them! I've just been asked how long they have to wait by some future buyers.

I took this picture on the weekend, theyre so hard to photograph but i managed to get this shot!

556016_10151274415267944_268067601_n.jpg

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
I find homes for mine when I know they're eating well, have 4 nice little legs and are approx 2 and a half - 3 inches in size. Any longer and my heart caves in and I can't bear to let them go..

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Mine are about 2in and I have almost 295 baby axles which are all doing great. It's amazing how big they get so quickly. :) will be selling my guys in a month or so.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I don't sell baby axies unless they have all 4 legs and are over an 1-1/2" long, usually more like 2" though. I've rarely had any feeding trouble with axies so thats not usually an issue. I do try to make sure they will take both frozen thawed and pellet food along with the live food. This just being because a lot of people either won't or don't have access to live foods. So sending them home with an axie baby they are going to starve to death isn't an option.

The only exception is if they are going to experienced keepers.

The reptile show I was selling at last month there was a young boy selling axies that were about an 1", they were selling pretty well. I actually bought two myself. I couldn't resist the little Gold GFP's lol

Kirby

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your advice guys. :)

I think the signs that i will look out for, are back leg growth and length to 2 around 2 inches. They're not far off but no sign of back leggness yet!

WOW, B3llaax3, Thats alot of axxies to try and raise! I think i started with around 80, but quite a few of them died off straight away, which was devastating but i have a manageable amount now.

I think these guys will be black axxies as both their parents are black. The male is quite a small dude, with purpley tinges to his filaments. The mother is alot bigger than the male and is lack with beautiful golden markings/specks. Im not sure the scientific names of them!

sandrawest

Reaction score
I sold 80 when my axies spawned last year and advertised them when they were fully developed and feeding on frozen bloodworm as this is the most easily available food for them in this area. The ones I sold privately I offered at £10 each or 2 for £15 and they all sold in pairs. The rest (about 30) were bought by a pet shop and they knocked me down to £2.50 each which was fine 'cos they had to feed and care for them until they could home them. I can't say I made ant profit as the live daphnia I reared them on to begin with cost me a small fortune but I found the experience amazing. Good luck with yours.

Kirby

Reaction score
Thanks for that advice! I was thinking of doing something similar.

My fantastic little babies have grown back legs! They will all eat frozen and live Daphnea. I haven't tried them on bloodworm yet. Not sure when to try bloodworm.

At what stage do they need filtration?

sandrawest

Reaction score
Well regarding filtration I have to say that as I raised all my babies in individual boxes until I knew they recognised frozen bloodworm as their food ( in other words it did not need to move and therefore they would not attack each other) I had no filtration but did a 50% water change every day.Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Kirby

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know i asked you al this advice ages ago...

..Well, i thinki t's finally time! My little babies are doing fabulously! They have never stopped eating.. and are now onto Bloodworm. :D They all have their back legs now and are well over two inches!

So, i think its time to find new homes! I just wondered though, for axxie advice, is there a specific web page that you guys direct people too if they are unsure about axxies?

Im unsure myself as to what stage/age they will need filtration, i know it won't be for a while, maybe until theyre fully grown? A year old maybe?

if any of you could help, that would be great!

Thanks

sandrawest

Reaction score
All the advice you can possibly need is on this site. Just ask.
As to the filtration I would provide gentle filtration now making sure it's not too strong for them. It will keep the tank much fresher and cleaner.

Jasmini

Reaction score
I'm selling my little ones when I know they can eat frozen bloodworms and have 4 little legs! They're now 2 months old and in about 1.5 - 2 months they'll be leaving :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1