Question: Cycling help

ectini

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I had a question about cycling. I read up on how to do it with a pure ammonia source. I set up my tank and am ready to start the process, however I had a few questions. This is how my setup went:

Oct 17 - Set up 10 gallon tank. Tank previously housed a turtle. Scrubbed clean with vinegar and water. Added 2 tank decorations (plastic rock platforms) that were previously with the turtle, that were scrubbed clean with just hot water. Added a small airstone.
Oct 19 - Added a Aqua Tech hang-on-back power filter.
Oct 21 - Added 3 live plants to the tank, which came from a petshop tank with fish.
Oct 23 - Water parameters are ammo/nitrites 0 and nitrates 5.

During this time, I didn't start adding any ammonia or do any water changes. I just tested the water today and those were the levels. I read that a cycled tank should have 0 ammo/nitrites and less than 20 nitrates. Is it a silly question to ask if my tank has cycled itself somehow with bacteria from the turtle tank decorations or the live plants?

Should I start adding ammonia and try the actual cycling process? When is it safe to move my axolotl into the tank? Also the filter I got says "New BIO-Fiber removes ammonia and nitrate 'on contact'"... If my tank isn't actually cycled, then would this "bio fiber" actually be hampering my efforts if I started adding ammonia to do the fishless cycle? What should I do in that case?

Thanks for any advice!!

Hello :p
10 gallon is a little too small for a fully grown axie with decor and filter ect, are you planning on upgrading?

Did the turtle filter ect stay in water with the filter still running?

The bacteria from a cyled tank will only live for a few hours if its still kept wet with the filter not running.

You wont have readings of ammonia, if there is no ammonia being put in the tank, i.e fish(axies)/food/pure ammonia.

So to answer your question, if your doing a fishless cycle, start adding the pure ammonia, but you will literally only need 1 drop a day, to your tank (daily) with the filter and everything running.
Then in a few days time, test the water and you should see the cycling starting to work :D

I will most likely upgrade in the future, but for now I'm using the 10gal since I already had it and it wasn't being used :eek:

Thanks for the info! I can conclude that nothing had bacteria on it (besides the plants maybe) since it was all out of water for quite some time :p

Ok, will start adding ammonia and waiting.

Thank you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back