Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is he simply an air gulper?

JayFaye

Reaction score
I've had my axie Toothless for a bit more than 2 years now, and while not all that recent of a habit, he goes up to the service very often and gulps a bunch of air, then just floats wherever he is. I don't think it particularly bothers him most of the time, but sometimes he tries so desperately to swim down to the bottom, and floats right back up because of all the air he swallowed! It's a bit funny, but still kind of sad.

But anyway, I've read some other threads on the topic, and am still unsure on if this is just normal for him, or if I should be worried. One of the threads talked about an axie having smaller gills, so it would be normal for them to gulp more air, as their gills can't really get enough. I've always noticed he had decently smaller gills than most other axie's I've seen! Could this be a cause/is this even a thing?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Axolotls breathe through lungs too :) some are more gulpers and some rather flick their gills. If you're sure he is floating due to swallowed air then I wouldn't be too concerned, they're pretty silly like that.

If the floating is persistent and not from gulping air it could be a build up of gas and sometimes is a sign of illness. If he's eating, pooping and generally happy I wouldn't be too concerned.

What are your water parameters? Just to be sure :)

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I have one whose a chronic air gulper, loves to float. Not to bash him or anything but sometimes he forgets he gulped a bunch of air and tries to swim down too, only to float back up. After a little while he figure out he needs to burp out the air in order to sink. Axolotls are odd creatures.

EmbryH

Reaction score
My Godric loves to gulp air. He actually makes a tiny squeaking sound when he does... and my roommates thought I was crazy when I told them he was squeaking...

E

Elise

Can you post some pictures? The gulping of air could be normal behavior or it could be a husbandry issue which is correctable in most cases. Judging from the images in your album and assuming your avatar is the most recent, my initial guess would be a husbandry issue.

JayFaye

Reaction score
but sometimes he forgets he gulped a bunch of air and tries to swim down too, only to float back up. After a little while he figure out he needs to burp out the air in order to sink. Axolotls are odd creatures.

Toothless does the exact same thing! He's so bizarre. Hahaha

As for water parameters, I'm not able to test it at this time :( However I plan to go to petsmart this weekend and pick something up, so I can test it then.

He's always had smaller gills though, which was something that always kind of concerned me, because I didn't know if it was a serious issue or not. I've also thought about getting an air stone before, but was unsure if it would bother him or not. I know axies don't like a bunch of water movement.
Here's some pictures of him from today. 1.jpg

3.jpg

unnamed.jpg

JayFaye

Reaction score
Additional note:
I had just fed him right before these were taken, and he stays pretty grounded after he's been fed! But I can try to get some pictures of him when he's just floating around later. Haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1