Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The new guy wants an axolotl

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Hi everyone. My name is Nathan. I've had aquarium fish my whole life, and I've known about the existence of axolotls for a few years, but I didn't realize they made good pets (and probably more fun than the average fish). I've looked into them quite a bit lately (and naturally ended up at this website). I'm seriously contemplating getting an axolotl, and that's why I became a member of Caudata. I have a couple of spare 10-gallon fish tanks sitting around (and one spare 14-gallon). I've looked at cooling fans on Amazon.com since my main concern is being able to keep the water cold enough without constantly changing out iced water bottles. I live in St. Louis, Missouri, where the winters are cold and the summers are hot. Does anyone have any experience with those inexpensive aquarium cooling fans? I certainly can't afford a big aquarium chiller. I would love to have my own axolotl (probably just one, but maybe two), but I want to get some opinions on whether I should go for it or not! Thanks!

ChristineB

Reaction score
Hi! I have one. It's a 2-fan model and seems to cool 5 gallons 5-10 degrees. My thermometer doesn't register low enough for exact numbers but when the tank hit 75 (don't worry, nobody was in it!) It brought it under 68 in a few hours; I'm guessing it was no more than 65, it felt quite cold. I hear they burn out pretty quick, but mine was only $18. Haven't run it long enough to rate longevity, but it cools nicely.

auntiejude

Reaction score
You'll need a bigger tank for an adult axie - 20gal as a minimum. A 10 or 14 will be OK for a juvie though.

I use fans - a 4 quad fan can make a good few degrees difference. Mine went from 21C to 17C quite quickly, but you do need to top the water up daily.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have heard that keeping the aquarium on slate slabs with fans running above and below(above the water surface and below the slate) works well. I have not yet tried this method myself but makes sense to me...

I live in Ohio and the summer has been the devil for me. I have looked into any way to maintain a cool temperature gradient as my home does not have 'central air' and the room I am permitted to keep a collection is without windows so a window a/c unit is not an option. There are also portable a/c units but they require a window to vent... All these are options provided the room you keep them in has these amenities.

All my best-

JBear

cabbysarus

Reaction score
There are lots of options for inexpensive chillers. I've looked into it a lot lately, being in Arkansas, I know the summers your talking about. I set up an office water cooler that pulls the water out of the tank, chills it, and waterfalls it back in :) it works really well and the office water cooler's temperature is adjustable. There are lots of people who use mini fridges to cool their tanks by running water hose through it.

Erlkoenig

Reaction score
There are lots of options for inexpensive chillers. I've looked into it a lot lately, being in Arkansas, I know the summers your talking about. I set up an office water cooler that pulls the water out of the tank, chills it, and waterfalls it back in :) it works really well and the office water cooler's temperature is adjustable. There are lots of people who use mini fridges to cool their tanks by running water hose through it.

I'm intrigued.. would you happen to have photos of your setup?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1