Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: From good to great!

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Not only did the T.grans arrive today, I think my Notophthalmus viridescens laid eggs! There are only two, and weren't on a plant, in their dish that they track substrate into. Here are the pictures, and the possible eggs are in the bottom right:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How are you keeping your Notos, I thought they were mostly aquatic as adults and were best kept in a mostly aquatic enclosure?

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Kind of the over-worry parent, I heard that females die off in water a lot, so I'm keeping them semi-aquatic, made an island and filled water around it. Going to keep them fully aquatic eventually

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a whole batch of Itallian alpine newt eggs go mouldy and gave up on them, yet when I emptied the tank a few months later there were two little alpine morphs looking up at me. I'm certain all the eggs were covered in fungus, but its obviously possible for the embryos to survive in some cases.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1