Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Juvenile Amphiuma Means Care?

Hellvetica

Reaction score
Hello ! I recently had a surprisingly satisfactory transaction with ReptilesNCritters (i heard mixed reviews, so i wanted to give it a go), but I must say I (rather severely) overestimated the size of the animal I would receive.

Right now they're maybe about 5 inches long, and it didn't occur to me to ask what the sex was. Completely my fault, but I also doubt it is able to be sexed at such a small size.

Video Here: https://sendvid.com/o3zxrecl

I currently have them in a tank that's 45 x 12 x 17 (inches) with safe water conditions according to the little, but very appreciated, info I could find on keeping these beasts captive. My main concern with my set up is the water level might be a bit high (mostly due to thinking it'd be larger). I'm debating whether or not just to let the water evaporate/do small water changes as needed, or if I should promptly dump a large amount.

This particular tank is also my first planted one, so it has some greenery to hide in on top of some provided PVC tubes/elbows.

With that out of the way, there are some behaviors I'm not sure are normal. I'm not entirely sure if any of them are signs of stress and/or illness.

1. The weirdest behavior I've seen it exhibit is occasionally floating at the surface, and moving about only when about to bump into glass.
  • Possibly totally normal behavior is that it'll burrow itself completely in my gravel/sand/dirt substrate (it's a pretty good sized gravel too, I was surprised it would even penetrate it. Seems I also underestimated their strength).
  • Could maybe be lethargic, or maybe just has a favorite hiding space... but they almost never stray away from one leafy plant I have uprooted. (save for the bizarre floating and an occasional readjustment)

One of the biggest downsides with receiving a juvenile is with such a small size, I am not sure how to vary the diet. Right now the only thing I have readily available to feed them is bloodworms! I'm worried that might not be enough, but maybe it is. I've heard shrimp pellets could be worth looking into. I'm considering possibly adding cherry or amano shrimp to the tank for it to graze on, but even those might be too large for now.

Sorry this post was so long winded, if anyone has anything to add I'd be very grateful.

Edit: my list numbering is off, sorry ! can't be bothered to fix it :rofl:

Last edited:

Hellvetica

Reaction score
Since it's still a juvenile, I'd for now keep it like on this care-sheet, but on a smaller scale until it grows: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Amphiuma

Thanks for the reply :) I've read that so many times, and honestly yeah. Giving small portion sizes should probably be fine. I think maybe I'm just a bit nervous since the last salamander I ordered online didn't end up surviving more than a couple of days, though so far this pal seems to be doing well.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw an amphiuma at a zoo once and I asked one of the employees if it were dead- the way it just floated there. She said they get asked that all the time. I don't know about the baby size, but I have a baby siren and it's mouth seems so small I still feed it blackworms.

Hellvetica

Reaction score
I saw an amphiuma at a zoo once and I asked one of the employees if it were dead- the way it just floated there. She said they get asked that all the time. I don't know about the baby size, but I have a baby siren and it's mouth seems so small I still feed it blackworms.

That's actually relieving ! Though I will say it might be a sign of stress? He has been doing it a lot less, if not at all, now that he has settled down and found his favorite hiding spots. The weird floating only seems to be done when he gets startled (when i need to handle him, if using my forceps to feed him gives him a spook, getting my gravel siphon too close, etc. etc.). I don't think they usually float unless they go the surface of the water, which is just about never done unless they feel like they need to.

Thanks so much for this reply though, at least i know it's somewhat normal and not a sign of any sort of disease :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1