Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi! New Axie Dad!

Twigwise

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Kan, from Michigan. I'm very new to both the world of aquaria and owning an axolotl! I work at a small holistic pet store so I am very familiar with the care of these types of critters, plus I've had an overpowering interest in keeping axolotls for years, so I've done my research. I kind of jumped head first into the "deep end" with this, though- I just got my tank properly set up and bought my axolotl (A juvenile wild type (I think) that's about 2 inches long, named Dragon) just on Friday (15.4.17).
tumblr_ooicsnLAPQ1t5jci1o1_1280.jpg

(The grains in the picture are from when I set up the tank- I was expecting to put a betta in here, but I fell in love with little Dragon and am using this as a temporary tank until I get the 29 gallon I was planning on getting. I have gotten all the sand out that I could!)

Like I said, I work at a holistic pet store and have a lot of knowledge about many things, but have no experience keeping an aquarium or watching a pet of this type 24/7 and monitoring his health as a pet parent (instead of a pet store employee, where there are many other people to watch and care for the animals in addition to myself). I'm happy to be a member of this forum because I've been very nervous!

Amyglistens

Reaction score
Hi ya, congrats on getting your first axolotl (wild type, definitely looks that way to me) They're great little pets. This is a brilliant site for getting lots of helpful tips. Ive got about 10 years experience but only just ventured into babes/juveniles and trust me you learn something new every day:p
If you haven't already I'd buy a cheap turkey baster. They're great for picking up waste and uneaten food from the bottom of the tank and you'd easily pick up the last of the grain to keep you new little one extra safe.
Congrats again

Twigwise

Reaction score
Hi ya, congrats on getting your first axolotl (wild type, definitely looks that way to me) They're great little pets. This is a brilliant site for getting lots of helpful tips. Ive got about 10 years experience but only just ventured into babes/juveniles and trust me you learn something new every day:p
If you haven't already I'd buy a cheap turkey baster. They're great for picking up waste and uneaten food from the bottom of the tank and you'd easily pick up the last of the grain to keep you new little one extra safe.
Congrats again

Thank you for the recommendation! I got a turkey baster today and am at work cleaning up the last of the sand now, haha.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!