Question: New Axie Owner- Questions and Concerns

PixelStix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Serena
So i have a 10gal tank, which has been cycling without fish for about 2 and a half weeks. i just added two ghost shrimp in the tank yesterday to serve as a clean up crew, as well as three fake aquarium plants. i made sure the plants were soft so they wouldn't cut my axie, so i'm not worried about that. i plan on getting a juvenile to put in the tank after i graduate on the 25th of this month. once the juvenile is 8 or 9 inches i'll upgrade to a 20gal long.

there are some questions i would like answered before i get this thing though. these include:

what size/age should a juvenile be until its ready to eat earthworms or salmon pellets?

are there any types of axolotl that tend to be smaller than other breeds?

how often would i need to feed the axolotl depending on its size?

how often do i need to do water changes?

if anybody can answer any of these questions, it would be highly appreciated. thanks.

Hello!
I saw no one has replied to your post so I figured I should answer them just in case you haven't found the answers.

- This all depends on your axie honestly, I know some people prefer to wait until their axies are around 4-6 inches before feeding them earthworms, but my axie is around 2.5-3 inches and (s)he has taken to earthworms well. My tip is to cut the worms to around half the length of your axie and drop it in front of your axie's face so (s)he can see the worm. (probably around an inch in front so you don't spook them). It should only take a few seconds for your to decide whether (s)he wants to eat the worm.

- I don't believe one type of axie is larger or smaller, they tend to be the same in size once fully grown. Some will grow faster than others, but I believe it all depends on the diet of your axie!

- I feed my axie one worm every day sometimes an occasional snack of half a cube of blood worms if I see (s)he is still hungry. The biggest way to tell if your axie is full is to look at the top of her/him; if the stomach is the same width of the head, they're full. Some axies are little piggies and will just keep eating, but as long as the stomach and the head are the same width, you should be good!

- You should do a 20% water change weekly, but you may have to do larger changes depending on how much waste you axie produces. You should also remove axie poo daily, it will help keep your parameters leveled so you don't have to worry too much!

Hope I could be of help and good luck on your axie adventures! :]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back