Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Tiger Salamander Bloated Throat

Niek

Reaction score
So I've had Reggie for about 3 years now and for the most part, he's been super healthy and active. We have him in a 10-gallon tank with about 5 inches of coco fiber that we keep moist, but not wet, and we feed him live crickets or super worms 2-3 times a week. He also has a plastic log and a small water dish.

Recently, he's stopped eating almost completely and yesterday I noticed that his neck is bloated and he seems to have trouble swallowing without lifting his head. A hole also developed in his tail (a rather large one) that could be a fungus, but I'm not sure. We've given him 15-minute salt baths once a day and let him sit in a dish of water in the fridge for about 20 minutes since yesterday, but he doesn't seem to be improving.

picture.php

picture.php

He also makes really sad sounding groaning noises sometimes that he never made before. He seems like he's in a lot of pain and it's very upsetting to see him like this. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to help him?:(:(:(

VentureBro

Reaction score
Not that this will help him now, but for the future I would read up on diet and nutrition for Salamanders. Earthworms are the healthiest things for them to eat. High protein, low fat and good Calcium to Phosphorus ratio. The superworms do not digest well in a Tiger Salamanders belly.

I'm still new to owning one, but I got on here and did lots of research before purchasing one.

ntny

Reaction score
keep him cooler in a fridge everyday at OR below 21 degrees celsius
put him in a small box with lid and 1 inch of salt bath with API Furan-2 for up to 1 hr per day
change the medication everyday. do it for 2 weeks until he improve.
do not overdose salt bath and API Furan-2
try to minimize disturbing him everyday
hope he gets well

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!