Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding a Baby Axolotl

IamLeeCB

Reaction score
I’m the recent owner of a 4-5 month old Axolotl (I’ve named him Pebble) and I know this is probably already on here somewhere, but I couldn’t find it! Basically I’m trying to figure out how often I should be feeding Pebble, at the moment I’m just feeding him once a day with frozen brine shrimp (I tried pellets too but they’re too big for him at the moment) and he’s eating really well! The only thing is that later In the day (I feed him around 8am when I wake up) he is back in his feeding spot asking for more. I know that Axolotls can be piggy sometimes, just like any other animal, but it makes me a little worried I’m not feeding him enough.

As a side note, he is currently regrowing the gills on his right side, as one of his siblings ate them at some point before o got him home, so I don’t know if he should be eating more while he’s regrowing them or not? He seems perfectly happy, swimming around and exploring his tank, but I tend to worry about these things...

For reference, here’s a picture of him to gauge his size

Attachments

• FE9EC49D-E36D-4A4F-8C3B-0BA9A882E682.png
    FE9EC49D-E36D-4A4F-8C3B-0BA9A882E682.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 266

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you can get your hands on some live blackworms I highly recommend them. I fed my babies on that until they were big enough for normal worms. Frozen food is often lacking in nutrients so any kind of live food is always good (and much easier for us).
Whenever I have had regrowth or injuries I always try and feed more as they do need a bit more energy in their bodies.
When mine were littles I fed them twice a day, so give that a go! Some even like 3 smaller meals a day. Try and few things and see what works for both of you :)

IamLeeCB

Reaction score
Thank you! I’ll try feeding him twice a day, and try to get my hands on some live food soon!

AxolotlFarm

Reaction score
I second the idea of live black worms. We have been raising some babies and as soon as we switched to live black worms, they have been growing like weeds. As difficult as it may be, I also would suggest feeding them until they are no longer interested. If there is left over food, you should be able to take it out and then know that they are full. We do this twice a day with our 250 babies. Good luck though! At this age, he's gonna eat and eat and eat!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!