Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

N. kaiseri - breeding season in high

A

alan

In case you were wondering ...
The adults have turned out to be avid egg eaters :-(
Once I figured that out, I've been checking every day and removing all the eggs I can find. The first few were infertile but they've got the hang of it now! I currently have a dozen about to hatch/just hatched.
Please read: Don't ask me for this species, they are all spoken for over the next few breeding seasons! However, for a fee of US$250, I will add you to my waiting list!!
wink.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
Cool looking newts, I havent seen these before.

Are you charging that much to be on your list for real? Or is that fee to be bumped up higher on the receiving list?
proud.gif

(Message edited by Ravenous on March 25, 2007)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Since reading Alan's post I've started treating my eggs like killie fish eggs. I have spawning mops and artificial plants in the tank. Every day or every other day I pick the mops and artificial plants for eggs. I've also found quite a few eggs on the bottom of the sponge filter. I think I saw a larvae swimming in my egg tank but havn't seen it again.

ryan

Reaction score
Thats great Michael! Maybe once you get some more eggs you could post some pictures.
happy.gif

A

alan

Good news: 2 dozen and counting (adding 3-4 eggs per day).

Bad news: Waiting list fee is now up to US$500
happy.gif

R

roy

Well for that price it is not weird they are almost wiped out in the wild by over collecting.

A

alan

You misunderstood the joke Roy (which was to stop my email bucket overflowing).
All the youngsters from at least this first season will be going on to other experienced breeders f.o.c. to establish as many breeding groups as possible.

ButtercupSaiyan

Reaction score
*shock*

Oh my goodness, I popped into this forum because I found them attractive but ... wow!! :rolleyes: They are really rare, then?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1