Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The demise of my Neurergus kaiseri

Tim Robin

Reaction score
I have been keeping N kaiseri and N strauchii since Feb 2010. I have kept both groups aquatic the entire time. Both have areas to get out of the water, but rarely do. I have caught them at times late at night out of the water. I have produced N strauchii for 3 years now and have had N kaiseri eggs for 3 years as well. I did not have a male kaiseri until late last year. So I anticipate getting fertile eggs from them next year. I have not lost a single animal. Additionally, I have kept back strauchii from my offspring and to date, I have not had a single morphed animal die on me!!! I have lost larvae and have had some cannibalism from time to time. I see it the most just before morphing. They seem to get more aggessive and eat a TON!!!

Reaction score
Hi I know this is an old thread but no one has mentioned UV lighting (the sort you use in big tanks and ponds) . Its used when farms are not on mains water as well to reduce the germ load of the water. If you use it after the canister filter and return the water direct from it it should kill most if not all the considerable germ load that these biological filters produce without affecting the de-nitrifying action of the filter. I have read about the quoted wattage having to be half a watt per/Litre of tank volume (that does sound quite large). If these animals are succumbing to a biological infection it would in theory go some way to reducing the problem . I hope some one has some comments on this as I am thinking of building tanks to breed this species .regards KB

Natalie

Reaction score
A very old thread here that I think would be interesting to resserect now that times have moved on, and a lot more people are keeping Neurergus species.

What have people found through the years since this thread? have people had simular losses keeping Neurergus aquatic?

Have people had losses keeping terrestrial?

Have some of you kept Neurergus completely aquatic for years and had no problems??

He said that he had just changed all their water; although its a different species, I was specifically warned by my breeders not to keep Neurergus crocatus too clean.

velasco13000

Reaction score
Anybody have any more issues with their newts getting sick of dying for unknown reasons?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1