Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

"Description: The axolotl (axe-o-lot-l) is an amphibian, which suggests it has a double life, part water and part on land."

M

maja

"Description: The axolotl (axe-o-lot-l) is an amphibian, which suggests it has a double life, part water and part on land." (cant remember where i found that ! )

- donno if i did´nt understand that as i should, but i thought that they could´nt live out of water ?
dizzy.gif

H

hayley-jane

They can only live out of the water if they have metamorphosized.

happy.gif

H

hayley-jane

Metamorphisized is when the axie will shed its gills, toughen its skin, grown strong leg muscles and start to breathe through its lungs internal lungs. When it does this it lives out of the water.

Like Joan said, there is a lot of information on the website, and also a picture of a morphed axie
happy.gif

M

maja

i´ve read a little.. but not all axos will Metamorphisized ?
wacko.gif
but thanks for the answers ! ..

J

joan

No, axolotls will retain their larval characteristics (the gills, and the keeled tail) throughout their entire life, even as breeding adults. It's very rare for an axolotl to morph. They stay this way because in their natural habitat (high in the mountains of Mexico), it was better for them to stay in the water (less predators, a less harsh climate). So they ceased to morph.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1