New member with Newt & Toad

cweiblen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Caudata.org, but not new to amphibians. I have recently adopted a couple of species from our local reptile rescue, which I have never had experience with before. One is a bright green Bombina orientalis, which I've had for about eight months. The other is a 14+ year old Cynops pyrrhogaster with a very decorative belly, which I've had for about three months.

Unfortunately, I followed the advice of the reptile experts, and put the newt in with the toad for a few months, but I have found Caudata.org in time to separate them before they could get around to hurting each other. The care information I received when I got them was misleading, but I can't really complain, because if it weren't for the rescue, I would not have had either of them in my life. I'm going to send the reptile rescue a link to Caudata.org, so they will have access to better information about care and compatibility. Their heart is in the right place, but I learned a valuable lesson that reptile experts are not necessarily amphibian experts.

Anyway, I really appreciate the level of experience and expertise available here on Caudata.org, and I hope that I will be able to contribute as I learn more about my new friends.

How wonderful to have found you all!

C.

Welcome to the forum C. Good luck with your two new friends.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back