Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

KY Press: The newt a part of fall’s brilliant colors

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
DAILY NEWS (Bowling Green, Kentucky) 10 October 09 The newt a part of fall’s brilliant colors (Geordon T. Howell)
While raking moist leaves up this fall, you might be quite stunned to see a small, brightly colored creature squirming around beneath the autumn debris.
To some, the slimy life form might cause alarm, while in others the amphibian will likely evoke intrigue because of the fantastic, reddish-orange coloring of its slippery skin. Red-spotted newts tend to show up in places one would not expect to find any sort of water-loving salamander hanging out, but this adaptability to different environments and development is why they remain so prevalent in southcentral Kentucky and most of the eastern United States today.
For decades, the species’ hardiness has earned the red newt countless terrarium homes in science classrooms, and backyard gardeners consider them an asset because of the newts’ fondness of insects. A very interesting aspect of the red spotted newt is that it has three life stages, and the brilliantly colored stage that we are accustomed to witnessing is only the middle of this lengthy trio of metamorphoses.
Much like a frog, the amphibious newt begins life in a puddle, pond, or roadside ditch, where it hatches from one of hundreds of deposited eggs and begins life as a dully colored larva with a paddle-like tail. Eventually the immature larva undergoes a dramatic change in color, develops lungs and becomes a land-loving newt.
Many a fisherman has probably been disappointed after securing a handful of red newts from under a rotted log or stone step while searching for worms. Although the red newts closely resemble commercially produced plastic lizard baits and appear to be perfect live bait for bass fishing, nature has equipped the red-spotted newt with a skin toxin. Fish and other animals find the taste repulsive, so the fragile little newt needs no other defenses. This is why newts can live alongside predatory fish in ponds and streams during their first and third life cycles without the threat of becoming a meal.
For several years the bright, terrestrial newt might roam dry land before finally maturing, changing back to a moss-green color, and returning to the water to breed and live out the remainder of its lengthy life hunting the shallows for food throughout the year.
Keep your eyes peeled in the coming weeks, as one of the most striking fall colors may be not actually be the leaves, but a small newt residing beneath them.
Bowling Green Daily News

zerelli

Reaction score
My dad lives in Bowling Green and I grew up in Western Kentucky. I spent a lot of my time wading through water and turning over rocks and never once in 38 years have I seen a newt in the wild. Only rarely did I find salamanders and then it was only the spotted salamander (ambystoma maculatum or some such I think).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1